Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

pulling a boat in and out of the water.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
sc250096 is on a distinguished road
sc250096's Tacoma Gallery
pulling a boat in and out of the water.

I have a 2006 V6 double cab 2wd (no towing package but have an aftermarket hitch 6,000lbs)). The recomended towing weight is 5000lbs. I want to pull a 19.5ft boat, fully loaded would be 4500lbs. Not so much worried about getting up and down the highway, but concerned about getting the boat in and out of the water. Any comments on if I will have any issues.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
depends totally on the ramp....slick, wet and with a good incline you'll spin coming out most likely. If the ramp is dry and grooved...you'll have no problems
Old 07-09-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
With 2wd and an open differential you will get one wheel spinng on a slippery ramp. I've had my fishing partner sit on the wheel well of the spinning wheel for more traction in my old Ford and I have also spread a lot of sand over the kelp filled ramp to make it less slippery.

My new '09 has the electtronic limited slip differential and it works well, even using a sand ramp on the side of a canal.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
If you do have the slipping problem you can use light hand brake pressure to "lock" that spinning wheel and balance the traction to try to get up the ramp.
AKA a poor man's limited slip differential.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you do have the slipping problem you can use light hand brake pressure to "lock" that spinning wheel and balance the traction to try to get up the ramp.
Second gens have a Hand Brake???

Old 07-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #7
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Second gens have a Hand Brake???

you didnt know that? Better go get the handbrakesecondgen tsb done
Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
you didnt know that? Better go get the handbrakesecondgen tsb done
lmao!!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #9

OP, Welcome to TW!

I have a Prerunner, and alot of the lakes out here are pretty slimey. I have no issues pulling my boat out of th ewater, even when fully loaded.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Probably not the technically correct term....but mine is a handle...Works just fine for me
Ah! My Bad....I thought all of the second gens were manipulated with the foot.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
^ yeah just for clarification, the manuals have hand breaks

btw... to the OP. I've pulled a 19' boat out of the water with a pretty steep dock. Didn't have to put in 4wd
Old 07-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #15

Quote:
It's okay chris...you have enuf right answers that we'll keep you around....I guess...
Thank you, Sir...

Old 07-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
BP09 will become famous soon enoughBP09 will become famous soon enough
BP09's Tacoma Gallery
i tow a 19.5 foot searay on a single axel trailer that weighs about 4500 lbs also. it tows just fine with my dbl cab shortbed. It slips a little if the ramp is bad. You could back the trailer in straight and keep the truck at a little angle or maybe some newer tires if you can afford them.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #17
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
with the 4.0 you'll be fine. If the ramps wet you may slip or spin a little but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I launched boats with a 3.4 first gen for years and have only had to put it in 4wd twice.