Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

06 dbl cab blown 10amp fuse! towing problem!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
peotaco is on a distinguished road
peotaco's Tacoma Gallery
06 dbl cab blown 10amp fuse! towing problem!

I have a 06 double cab. It didn't come with a tow package. I but a hidden hitch and a plug and play adapter for the wiring on it. I hooked up my motorcycle trailer and have had NO problems, but when i hook up my jetski trailer I keep blowing the 10amp fuse behind ( the one located behind the change holder). I looked at the engine fuse box and it was missing the two 30amp fuses for towing. I installed them and i am STILL blowing the 10amp fuse. What is going on? I am hoping its just the jetski trailer. I have a buddy with a tacoma w towing who is going to try hooking it up to his tomorrow. I just wanted to ask if there were any other fuses that i need to do.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
peotaco's Tacoma Gallery
also...if i buy the 4flat tester from walmart will that tell me if its wired correctly? (that way i would know its the trailer)..its just bugging me because its not blowing the fuse w my motorcycle trailer.)
Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the problem is in the Jet Ski trailer... Go thru the wiring and make sure nothing is grounding out. Also, is this, by chance, happening when you back the trailer into the water, or before?
Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
peotaco's Tacoma Gallery
its happening on the driveway...yeah i hope its just the trailer...
Old 07-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
VancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud ofVancityCK has much to be proud of

VancityCK's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer problem. Sounds like truck is fine. If you can't figure out the trailer wiring yourself, call a hitch installer. If it's a simple solution, a nice one will do the fix for free, if it's not, well, they're the guys to go to anyway.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
To add, you can re wire the trailer yourself for about $25.00...Icluding new lights.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
To add, you can re wire the trailer yourself for about $25.00...Icluding new lights.
What chris said. I had a friend with a 1980 something buick and a Hobie Cat sailboat....Beat ass old trailer....He kept blowing his shit up with it and had no clue what was wrong.

I took one look at the wires and found 2 leaks and a split wire that was grounding. The new wires are easy to pull.

Good luck!!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
I would look at the wiring adapter you bought. The Tacoma needs one that basically copies the signals from the tail wiring, using power from a different source, and sends it to the trailer. The Toyota wiring kit includes the 2 fuses, and the wiring connects at the dash, not the back of the truck. This is where the power for the trailer lights should come from. Cheap wiring kits are cheap for a reason....You might be able to get away with connecting a trailer with fewer lights your wiring, does the jet ski trailer have more lights?