Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

U-Haul auto trailer & '03 Tacoma?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
mbernbach is on a distinguished road
mbernbach's Tacoma Gallery
U-Haul auto trailer & '03 Tacoma?

Hello,

I have read the towing bible but I'm still not sure about this.

I want to rent a car trailer from u-haul.

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.asp...-autotransport

Will my '03 4x4 V6 auto ex-cab tacoma with a 5,000lbs hitch be able to tow it (2,210lbs) with my '73 BMW 2002 (curb weight 2227lbs) on it for a one time 150 mile trip?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Muliefever
muliefever has a spectacular aura aboutmuliefever has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: First Class Petty Officer
muliefever's Tacoma Gallery
yes
Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Yes.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
mbernbach is on a distinguished road
mbernbach's Tacoma Gallery
great!

Thanks,

just to be sure here. Do I need any extra equipment besides my hitch?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Wish i was wheelin
TengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TengoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I think u haul uses the 4 pin sockets. Just make sure you have the 4 pin on your truck or an adapter
Old 07-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernbach View Post
Thanks,

just to be sure here. Do I need any extra equipment besides my hitch?
Do you have the proper drop in the draw bar?

Does U-haul supply you with ratchet straps? They might rent straps for an additional rental fee. I'd atleast get 2 straps in the front and 2 straps in the back. If you're using U-haul straps....inspect them FULLY and don't hesitate to give them back if you aren't happy with them.

The U-haul trailers have surge brakes.... I've never had experience with surge brakes and I don't know if there's any type of SETUP involved. Do some research on that or perhaps someone will chime in.

Depending on the trailer and the vehicle - you might not have a lot of room to play with .... but where the vehicle is on the trailer is KEY in how it handles (tonque weight). Too little tonque weight and you'll have swaying. Too much tonque weight and you'll have unsafe steering response.

After you adjust everything, drive around for a bit....check the straps.... and if you feel the trailer swaying....move the vehicle forward on the trailer a couple inches. If the front end is LIGHT....you'll wanna move the vehicle back on the trailer a bit.

Good LUck!
Old 07-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
djs05tacoma will become famous soon enough

djs05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Will they even rent you a car hauler? When I rented a car trailer from uhaul about 5 years ago the first thing they asked was what kind of truck I had (at the time it was 3/4 ton dodge diesel) when I asked them why they said they wouldn't rent any car trailers to anything less than a 1/2 ton vehicle, no matter what the towing capacity said on the door.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs05tacoma View Post
Will they even rent you a car hauler? When I rented a car trailer from uhaul about 5 years ago the first thing they asked was what kind of truck I had (at the time it was 3/4 ton dodge diesel) when I asked them why they said they wouldn't rent any car trailers to anything less than a 1/2 ton vehicle, no matter what the towing capacity said on the door.
It probably depends on the U-haul station.

I stopped in at our local U-haul place and they gave me the run-around. I told them the truck could tow 6500lbs and the guy was OK with that.

I'm not sure what they'd say if your rating is only 5,000lbs.

Some of the other companies won't rent a trailer unless you're using it behind a box truck.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
djs05tacoma will become famous soon enough

djs05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, thats been my experience in the past, depends on the location, hopefully the OP confirms with uhaul before just showing up to get a trailer and finds out they won't rent him one.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs05tacoma View Post
WTF, that must have cost them a lot of business. Why wouldn't they - as long as the truck is within limits and is insured, then what's the problem?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:04 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersharp View Post
wtf, that must have cost them a lot of business. Why wouldn't they - as long as the truck is within limits and is insured, then what's the problem?
liability & stupidity (of the customers that is)