Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Questions about 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 4.0 Towing Package

Old 07-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Magda R. Garza is on a distinguished road
Marines: sgt. artillary battery
Magda R. Garza's Tacoma Gallery
Questions about 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 4.0 Towing Package

About two years ago, I bought 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 4.0 double cab, without the tow package, not thinking that I would need it some day. Well, I just bought a 1993 Layton Travel Trailer (weighs 4,000 lbs.) with a battery and electric brakes (has 6 pin connector), and the owner gave me "free", a heavy metal ball joint connection, 2 weight-distribution lever spring bars, plus a sway control system bar to keep the trailer from swaying. I am in the process of adding a tow package, and I bought a class 3 receiver, 7 pin connection harness with wiring, and a combination oil/tranny cooler. My mechanic is doing the work for me but, I have several questions/worries. First, will my engine and tranny be okay with what I bought? Second, will I need to upgrade the trucks brakes? Upgrade to what? Third, will I need to buy any additional suspension shocks and/or springs to handle the extra weight? Finally, will I need a heavy duty battery, and 30 Amp Alternator? Will the higher 30 Amp alternator mess up any of my electrical systems? Please e-mail me the answers to my questions and thank you for any help/advise. madga0822@yahoo.com.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing would change are the rear leaf springs. I would install an Add-a-leaf. 1.5 or 2 inch.

Battery - engine - trans - alternator should be ok. If you are really anal about having everything perfect, then you could change the battery & alternator. But, I feel your stock should be fine.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't go with a 30amp alternator unless you plan on using it on a go kart. You would want to upgrade to a 130 amp alternator. I don't see with towing a trailer that the stock alternator would be taxed too hard. I don't know how much of a current draw trailer brakes are but I assume it couldn't be too extreme.

Are you installing a trailer brake controller as well?
Old 07-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
If you haven't done the Spring TSB, do it. You might have a bottoming out problem, the TSB will fix it. Engine and Tranny will have no problems with the weight, but if towing up a lot of hills.. the tranny might have a problem with the Temperatures (staying in out of Torque Converter Clutch mode, it keeps the ATF circulating in the torque converter and generates the greatest amount of heat), so adding a Tranny cooler is worth the money unless you tow on flat ground. You battery is a group 27 battery (do they have anything else?), plenty big enough.

A bigger alternator is for charging the truck's battery as well as the trailer's. Some RV'ers run their Fridge on 12v while going down the road, and this could be a considerable load on the Trucks Charging system.. don't run the fridge on 12v while towing, problem solved. Also, if installing an aftermarket 7 way plug, you will also need to install a BRAKE controller (YOU WILL NEED IT) and run the appropriate wires back to the 7way plug. Happy Camping!

-Sam