Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Not sure if I should get a weight distribution hitch

Old 07-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
rpedog is on a distinguished road
rpedog's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if I should get a weight distribution hitch

Hey all, I apologize if this has been covered but I have read a large chunk of this section including the towing bible and don't see what I'm looking for.

I'll be towing a uhaul trailer about 1800 miles. I may just get a 5x8 trailer rather than the 6x12. Would the weight distribution hitch help a trailer that size?

Another question is is it worth it to get the 6x12 trailer because it has the surge brakes? Would that be safer?

I've towed before but not for a trip this long. I appreciate any advice. I've been a long time lurker on this forum and have picked up a lot of helpful information.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpedog View Post
Hey all, I apologize if this has been covered but I have read a large chunk of this section including the towing bible and don't see what I'm looking for.

I'll be towing a uhaul trailer about 1800 miles. I may just get a 5x8 trailer rather than the 6x12. Would the weight distribution hitch help a trailer that size?

Another question is is it worth it to get the 6x12 trailer because it has the surge brakes? Would that be safer?

I've towed before but not for a trip this long. I appreciate any advice. I've been a long time lurker on this forum and have picked up a lot of helpful information.
Unless you are hauling concrete blocks, your truck should handle no problem with the regular hitch. I have a 5 x 8 and barely feel it behind the truck. I can barely see it back there so I taped a piece of plastic pipe vertically to the rails to remind me it's still back there.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpedog View Post

Are you renting a trailer, or are you buying a used uhaul trailer? If you are renting then it would be kind of a pain to mount a WD hitch system to a trailer that you don't own. If uhaul is offering WD hitches as an option on their trailers then i'd say sure go for it, but otherwise don't worry about it.

I run a WD system on my travel trailer and on my 24' enclosed car hauler. I do not run a WD system on the boat trailer or on my 6x12 enclosed motorcycle trailer, and I've never had a problem with either of them.

That said, if the cost is similar I'd say go with the 6x12 for the sake of having the brakes, but the chances of being able ot cram enough stuff into a 5x8 to really need brakes is slim to none, so if you can get what you need in the 5x8 then that would probably be fine, but all things being equal brakes are better than no brakes, so if you are on the fence about everything fitting in the 5x8 then the 6x12 with brakes would be the way to go.

Regards,

Adam
Old 07-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
rpedog is on a distinguished road
rpedog's Tacoma Gallery
As you can see I am a novice when it comes to towing.

Unless I can find a trailer for a good price I'll just be renting. What I'll be hauling isn't heavy it just takes up room. Its good to know either size should be fine.

Thank you and regards,