1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Towing rig...

Discussion in 'Towing' started by winker2112, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    winker2112

winker2112 [OP] Member

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 MG 4x4 TRDsport DC
    Well I finally decided that I'm gonna put the taco to work. Bought this used from someone in NJ...

trailer1_9ca192ce43139f3cfd1727a54adef278af0266c6.jpg

Gonna be towing this back and forth to the track...

bluey2_a3ba52ad7d60d298a169540bd7ee667401aaac37.jpg

It will also be helpful because I'm a mechanic, and I do alot of side work out of my garage. Now I have something to tow broken cars down to the garage with, which is a big deal, because most of my customers are high boost turbo cars that tend to need constant attention.

This is my first time towing a trailer (towed a car dolly with no brakes once, but that was a short distance), so I'm a lil nervous. I have a tekonsha prodigy brake controller on the way, and a set of firestone air bags too. The track is easily over 90miles one way, so I figured instead of keep taking the risk of breaking at the track (face it, it's a dodge!), and having to pay to get it towed all the way back to my shop, now I can just load it up, and tow it home.

I read the towing bible, but I did have a question that I did not see covered.
    What is recommended for strapping the car down to the trailer? It's fwd, and I'm not sure if I can just hook the sub frame with straps, or if I needed to get special straps for the wheels. Anyone who has some experience in towing cars, feel free to point me in the right direction. The last thing I want is to have to turn around to pick up my car after it falls off. And anybody that has driven on the BQE in NY knows that it's not really smooth sailing.

Also truck is a 6spd manual, and will probably see some heavy stop and go traffic... Should I be looking into a heavy duty clutch soon?

Any other recommendations for my setup are welcome.

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top