Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Question about bolts for hitch...help

Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
Question about bolts for hitch...help

Guys,

Just bought a Uhaul hitch from a local used. He did not include the four bolts that mount the hitch to the frame (the other two that mount to the bumper I have). I was wondering what size bolts are to be used so I can go pick some up? Need thread pitch and size. Also any spacers needed or anything for the install?

Kind Regards,
Ryan

BTW, it is a class III hitch
Old 08-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I just put on a hitch yesterday (a Valley hitch). The front bolts are listed on the instruction sheet as 12mm x 1.25mm x 35mm Hex Bolt. I think they were metric grade 8.8, stamped on the bolt heads. They each had a conical washer installed, and were torqued to 75 foot pounds. The frame mounting points were threaded.

The bolts that go through the bumper were listed as 5/8-11 x 3-1/2 Flat Head Socket Bolt. They had wedge-shaped spacers, a 5/8 lockwasher, and a 5/8-11 hex nut. I didn't see a grade. The torque spec on the bumper bolts was 150 foot pounds, so I would probably just go with grade 8 (standard, not metric) hardware on these to be safe.

By the way, when I replaced the plastic covers on the bumper step, I had to trim a lot of the plastic "X" and the ring surrounding the "X" before the covers would snap on.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
06dak will become famous soon enough06dak will become famous soon enough
06dak's Tacoma Gallery
Ryan, make sure you got the spacers needed, or the hitch really wouldn't sit right! Also, the Uhaul hitch is the same as the Valley but different than all the others.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
r12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant futurer12rex has a brilliant future
r12rex's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys!

I have the bolts and the wedge spacer for the bumper

Went to Fastenal, Home Depot, and Autozone with no luck finding the right size/pitch bolts. I ended up at the Toyota Dealership and bought the four bolts they use to mount the factory hitch. $7 bucks and some change. Just have to wait till Friday to pick them up.

I installed the hitch using the two bolts and removed one bolt on each side of the bumper mounts to temporarily mount the hitch. No worries it won't be used lol, just don't want to have to get under there again.

Kind Regards,
Ryan