1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about bolts for hitch...help

Discussion in 'Towing' started by r12rex, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Aug 11, 2009 at 8:48 PM
    r12rex

r12rex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    Guys,

Just bought a Uhaul hitch from a local used. He did not include the four bolts that mount the hitch to the frame (the other two that mount to the bumper I have). I was wondering what size bolts are to be used so I can go pick some up? Need thread pitch and size. Also any spacers needed or anything for the install?

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

BTW, it is a class III hitch

2. Aug 12, 2009 at 4:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Is the frame actually threaded? Or no?

I wasn't sure....

3. Aug 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just put on a hitch yesterday (a Valley hitch). The front bolts are listed on the instruction sheet as 12mm x 1.25mm x 35mm Hex Bolt. I think they were metric grade 8.8, stamped on the bolt heads. They each had a conical washer installed, and were torqued to 75 foot pounds. The frame mounting points were threaded.

The bolts that go through the bumper were listed as 5/8-11 x 3-1/2 Flat Head Socket Bolt. They had wedge-shaped spacers, a 5/8 lockwasher, and a 5/8-11 hex nut. I didn't see a grade. The torque spec on the bumper bolts was 150 foot pounds, so I would probably just go with grade 8 (standard, not metric) hardware on these to be safe.

By the way, when I replaced the plastic covers on the bumper step, I had to trim a lot of the plastic "X" and the ring surrounding the "X" before the covers would snap on.

4. Aug 12, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    Ryan, make sure you got the spacers needed, or the hitch really wouldn't sit right! Also, the Uhaul hitch is the same as the Valley but different than all the others.

5. Aug 12, 2009 at 9:15 PM
    r12rex

r12rex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    Thanks guys!

I have the bolts and the wedge spacer for the bumper :)

Went to Fastenal, Home Depot, and Autozone with no luck finding the right size/pitch bolts. I ended up at the Toyota Dealership and bought the four bolts they use to mount the factory hitch. $7 bucks and some change. :) Just have to wait till Friday to pick them up.

I installed the hitch using the two bolts and removed one bolt on each side of the bumper mounts to temporarily mount the hitch. No worries it won't be used lol, just don't want to have to get under there again.

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

PzTank likes this.
  6. Nov 10, 2021 at 1:53 PM
    Keefox

Keefox Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Sr5 2.7l
    What size were the bolts that Toyota sold you?

Products Discussed in

To Top