1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anti-rattle hitch device.

Discussion in 'Towing' started by mvega1969, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Jan 3, 2008 at 10:50 AM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    Hi,
    Wondering if any of you had tested or owned any anti-rattle / anti-sway / anti-gobble hitch pin / j-pin / brackets. I already bought one from Valley Industries brand, and it does not fit, the actual width of the hitch is too much for it and this is the second experience I have with two different products of two different manufacturers. I like to have my rear cargo basket soundless upto it can be.

Thanks,
    Regards.

2. Jan 3, 2008 at 12:30 PM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    i didnt know there was something like that but let us know if it works

3. Jan 3, 2008 at 12:46 PM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    I was with my Cousin at home this afternoon and I mentioned him about my problem trying to find an anti-rattle device for the hitch and I noticed that the hitch main pole is wider than any other one I have seen before, this is a lot better for its extra strength, but for pin wise most of them are not going to fit (Length -pin too short-), it is a layer of about a ¼in on both exterior side walls.

Well, does anyone know about a product that can work around this extra thick hitch? An anti-rattle device still is in need.

Regards.

4. Jan 3, 2008 at 1:53 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    What about some wood door/window shims? Put them around your basket's hitch bar and slide it in... If they are long enough to hit the basket then they shouldn't come on.

I just got a pin from Wal-Mart (IIRC) that has one end bent, and the other has a slotted metal bar you flip over so it's perpendicular to the pin. I think Masterlock makes a locking one that fits. Not sure which model. I never bothered to lock mine. As it it, the ball bearing in my pin (locked the perpendicular bar) seized up over the winter so I'm hesitant to put a lock down there.

This is what I have.
    [​IMG]

5. Jan 3, 2008 at 1:56 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I have one of the J type pins, that worked great as an anti-rattle device on my old truck, but on this truck, while it fits and does lock (so that is better than the other two locking hitch pins I had that would not fit the heavier receiver on these trucks)

I J pin will not work as an anti rattle device on these trucks as there is no secondary hole in the receiver for it to put tension on the drawbar. (at least on my 07)

So failing that. My best suggestion would be to weld or have welded a nut onto the inside of your cargobasket drawbar and use a threaded hitch pin.

6. Jan 3, 2008 at 2:05 PM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    The one I bought is like this:
    [​IMG]
    But our OEM Hitch come from->..............<- to here wider than normal, it has an extra ¼in metal sheet around it that makes it stronger.

Also I have seen these devices, but the problem is I can order from the web and then return them for non be able to fit at least I will loose the S&H fee and since are several of them it's does not it worth.

I have attached files with other pin hitch devices.

Regards.

Temp A.jpg
    Temp B.jpg
    Temp C.jpg
    TEMP D.gif

7. Jan 3, 2008 at 2:18 PM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    Maverick,
    the last picture attached to my previous reply looks like your recommendation.

Is it?

8. Jan 3, 2008 at 3:08 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    We have a cushioned hitch ball mount. It's for a 2" hitch receiver. We bought it to get rid of the bucking/slapping while towing our empty trailer (1200lbs). It doesn't really do much when you have a full load (6500lbs) and a lot of weight on the tonque. But I would assume if you're towing lighter loads, this would probably help prevent the bucking/slapping/etc. ADDED NOTE - we never used this on the tacoma (Dodge/Jeep).

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Jan 3, 2008 at 3:54 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    The last picture attached to your post is what I was talking about, though I would not exactly call it a recommendation.

It will not help you with the stability of your drawbar, as the design of the receiver on the truck prevents it being used as it was completely intended, but the pin is long enough that you can still lock the pin so as to prevent someone from walking away with what ever is in your hitch.

I use it when I have the Weight Distribution head on my truck (those things are several hundred dollars to replace) and when I have my bike rack and bikes in the receiver (bike rack $420) (bikes $4200 each x2)

When I am using a regular drawbar like for the boat trailer I just use a regular pin like the one in tiger's post.

10. Jan 4, 2008 at 6:02 AM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    my hitch makes noise but it doesnt bother me the much just get some mud tires and you wont hear the hitch anymore

11. Jan 4, 2008 at 6:31 AM
    wes

wes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    07 DC sport silver V6 auto
    URD CAI,URD Y-Pipe,,Wet-okle covers,Silverstar headlgt bulbs,Undercover bed cover,black nerf bars,Alpine 9883 Alpine speakers,Pioneer 10" sub,SIRIUS sat. Redline hood struts, white gauge led and shifter light "mod"
    have someone weld a "bead" around the drawbar.grind down the weld till it fits in the hitch reciever without alot of play or wobble. that works great and is economical too!!

12. Jan 4, 2008 at 6:53 AM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    Yesterday I went shopping around at local auto parts stores and guess what all of them lack of knowledge on this and worst they do not have even a little bit of diversity on their inventories. Laredo is no a haul city, but there are a lot of Fisherman, Hunters and probably not that much of outdoorsman (no mountains nor small hills) to jump in. But I hope somewhere on the Internet or on my next trip to San Antonio I can find something that helps the reduction of friction in the hitch.

Thanks.
    Regards.

13. Jan 5, 2008 at 7:11 PM
    Requital

Requital Member

Member:
    First Name:
    WR
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    16 Black TRD Sport DCSB 4WD
    I am not sure if I fully understand what you are looking for, but Surco Inc (www.surcoinc.com) makes an anti-rattle device called the Surco Eliminator that attaches to the reciever and the hitch rack. Autoanything.com sells the device. I do not have any experince with this itme but I am considering buying it to eliminate the rattle and motion of my bike rack.

Years ago I drilled and tapped a hole and installed a bolt in my reciever to keep the hitch from rattling while towing a light trailer. It worked well enough, but I think it would have worked better if I had put a bolt on each side instead of just on top.

14. Jan 6, 2008 at 5:52 PM
    o.b.

o.b. Active Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    Blacksand 4X4
    MB 72 black wheels
    My buddy drlled a hole on top of the hitch. Then he welded a big nut on top. Then he screwed a bolt that fits in the nut through the hole and tightened as tight as possible. It worked perfect. It's a cheap fix if you have or know a welder.

15. Jan 6, 2008 at 6:32 PM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    This O.B. and Requital solution looks like this device, but without harming (making a hole) the hitch.

[​IMG]

In the other hand the SURCO device you mentioned, I think it looks more like this one of Valley industries [​IMG] but the problem is that the pin it is not as long to close the keyed attachment, the width of the OEM Tacoma hitch is wider at least ¼in at the each side and it does not work.

Regards.

16. Jan 9, 2008 at 6:13 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Try the white clear plastic toilet shims home depot sells or wrap a couple layers or black felt arount the drop hitch,or you can just glue tha damn thing in with gorilla glue!...Damn that stuff expands!

17. May 5, 2008 at 9:21 AM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
  18. Jul 12, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    Giselle

Giselle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Giselle
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Toyota Highlander
    related to your question above I bought following product from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Rattle-Hitch...4&sr=8-4-spons&keywords=hitch+tightener&psc=1
    I don't hear any noise or rattling.

Now I need a repair kit for my doors. does anyone can recommend any door repair kit? I just bought my car as 2nd hand and first owner did not threat well it seems.
    When I try to lock my doors automaticly rear right side door doesn't close. I checked child lock too but it doesn't work. Even when I leaved my car and locked I can open my rear right side door. does anyone has the same or similar problem?

Products Discussed in

To Top