Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Questions about an enclosed trailer

Old 08-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #1
Chris Slade is on a distinguished road
Chris Slade's Tacoma Gallery
Questions about an enclosed trailer

I have an 08 Tacoma double cab 4x4 and an 2010 Tundra 4x4. I want to purchase an enclosed trailer to use for work. 16 or 18 foot. The Tundra came ready to tow, the Tacoma did not. I put a class 5 hitch on the Tacoma and one of those plug and play harness adapters, 4 pin. I use it to occasionally tow a bass boat. My question is regarding the typical wiring on enclosed trailers, will my 4 pin connector be enough (I assume it does lights only). Do these kinds of trailers usually have electric brakes etc. I'm not sure what is required to make my Tacoma tow the trailer. The Tundra will be fine.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
duckcmdr's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah most of them will have brakes. you need to get a wire set up that has a power for your trailer brakes. you can get them where you buy your other trailer needs. 16-18 foot enclosed trailer for the tacoma is a bit large for the taco. What are you going to put in it?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Chris Slade is on a distinguished road
Chris Slade's Tacoma Gallery
It's a ventilation company. What I need is a trailer I can put things 10' long in with a little room to spare. The Tundra will be the main tow vehicle, but I don't want to be limited to just the one truck. I don't imagine the load will be too heavy most of the time.
Of course for anything heavy I'd use the Tundra.

I assume I could get the e brake stuff done at the dealer for big money. I'm sure I can handle it, but I haven't done much wiring past stereo stuff or plug and play harnesses.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
yeah and I definitely wouldn't try towing an enclosed trailer that large without brakes hooked up. I was goofing around one day driving to a friend's house and I had my empty 6x12 enclosed trailer in tow. By goofing around I mean there was no traffic, I came up to a corner just a little faster than I normally would with a trailer but not faster than if I wasn't towing. Remember trailer was empty and it actually pushed my rear wheels loose on the road causing me to do a bit of a fish tail thing. Freaked me the heck out. It made me realize how bad it could be if I wasn't more cautious with a load in the trailer My next upgrade planned for the truck is to install a break controller