Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

taco fifth wheel?

Old 09-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
taco fifth wheel?

I am looking into a Scamp 19' fifth wheel travel trailer which wieghs in at around 2100 I believe which should be well within the capability of my truck ('09 access cab w/ v6 and manual 6 spd trans / tow package). So has anyone out there ever set up their 2nd gen truck to do the fifth wheel thing? I don't know to what extent the plastic bed interferes with or negates even towing a fifth wheel at all.

Could someone who has rigged up their truck to tow a fifth wheel please post all about their experience doing so?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
falco is on a distinguished road

falco's Tacoma Gallery
Tugboat50 did it, and he rolls in a 4 banger... Check his posts.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...it-bed-002.jpg
Old 09-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by falco View Post
Tugboat50 did it, and he rolls in a 4 banger... Check his posts.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...it-bed-002.jpg

Old 09-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
That is the exact trailer I was talking about. The Scamp 19' trailer just weighs a little over 2000 lbs. It has electric brakes and should not be any more unsafe than trying to tow a 24 or 26' trailer at the limits of these trucks' GVWR. In fact it would seem to be A LOT SAFER to tow this trailer at 2000 lbs. and aerodynamically shaped with the weight right over the rear axle than a huge box (aerodynamic as a brick) at over 5000 lbs. with a drivetrain that clearly was not designed to be towing like that. If someone is towing a trailer against a headwind and the mileage drops down to under 5 mpg, and have to run in 2nd or 3rd gear, that truck is not capable of safely towing that load.

It may not be safe to try to tow a fifth wheel trailer with a truck that has a plastic bed either. That's why I asked. The weight and aerodynamics of the trailer are not the problem. That fiver actually weighs a LOT LESS than the huge heavy boxes (24 to 26 feet) some of these guys have said they have a hard time towing.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
If You Search...You Shall Find.
uood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduood8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Uniform / Marked Patrol
uood8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by commtrd View Post
It may not be safe to try to tow a fifth wheel trailer with a truck that has a plastic bed either. That's why I asked. The weight and aerodynamics of the trailer are not the problem. That fiver actually weighs a LOT LESS than the huge heavy boxes (24 to 26 feet) some of these guys have said they have a hard time towing.

The 5th wheel doesn't connect anywhere to the bed. It has bolts going through the bed and thru the frame rails. No pressure is applied to the bed itself.

Alot of people in europe have 5th wheels in midsize trucks...its very common....Pic from my old frontier forum, its a navara (european version of frontier)

also found

Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
commtrd
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanx for replies and especially the pics. I will do some research to find a suitable fifth wheel mounting system for the tacoma trucks. I am leaning very strongly towards getting one of the 19' Scamp trailers. It looks to be the perfect solution to a useable trailer that can be safely towed with the capabilities of the tacoma with a V6 / manual trans.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:59 PM   #10
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
Did you search? Our trucks aren't ment to tow a 5th wheel trailer. Buy a bigger truck (Tundra) if you want to tow that stuff.
I was flipping through my 09 owner's manual a couple of days ago, and it had information on towing a 5th wheel trailer.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
A fifth wheel trailer will pull better and be easier on the truck than a bumper pull in all cases. given the trailer isn't to big for the truck. With a 5th wheel you are pulling directly over your axle.

As far as the bed being composite as opposed to steel it makes no difference , fifth wheel plates are bolted directly to the frame in all applications.
X2 - No reason a properly installed 5th is perfectly safe as long as the trucks GCWR and GAWR are adhered to.