1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where can I get the trailer hitch clevis attachment?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by ERdept, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Jan 20, 2008 at 2:26 AM
    ERdept

ERdept [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm looking for the thing that fits into the receiver hitch that allows a clevis to be put in. The "U" shaped one, not the straight pin.

I want to use the hitch as a tow strap recovery/tow point. But, looked at many sites and only see cover plates, ball, pintels, risers, etc.

Not a durn thing for attachment of a device to put a clevis in it.

2. Jan 20, 2008 at 2:41 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  3. Jan 20, 2008 at 4:28 AM
    ERdept

Member:
    Ah, you're a genius. I didn't know where to start looking. What keeps the clevis from being unscrewed and stolen?

I live in L.A. the opportunistic theif capital of the world.

4. Jan 20, 2008 at 5:02 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    You can get a lock that would secure the drawbar to the receiver on the truck, but there is no way I can think of that you could secure the shackle (clevis as you call it) to the drawbar. You would have to un-screw it yourself and keep it in the cab, and just remember to put it on before you went wheelin'

Regards

5. Jan 20, 2008 at 5:58 AM
    ERdept

Member:
    Oh, thats no fun. Gotta make like you use it all the time and have synthetic dirt professionally applied on the truck.

Well perhaps a small cable through it w/ lock.

6. Jan 20, 2008 at 6:12 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    As a matter of fact I was looking for one myself yesterday and could not find one, I found a regular hook that was welded to to the receiver but no clevis attachments. What I am thinking of doing is getting is some 2" stock and drilling a couple of holes, and for theft protection, just keep it in the cab, out of site out of mind.

7. Jan 20, 2008 at 6:57 AM
    marvin02

marvin02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '07 Access Cab SR5 - Black
    Top Dawg Folding Tonneau Cover, DIY Bed Light, Aux. Input for MP3 Player, OEM Bed Mat
    Could you use another locking hitch pin through the clevis? The same as you use to secure the drawbar to the hitch? If the one holding your drawbar will hold the load, another one through the clevis should be fine. If you buy both at the same dealer you might be able to get them keyed alike.

8. Jan 20, 2008 at 8:44 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Nothing that's sure-proof. You're better off leaving the d-ring & drawbar stuff inside your truck until you need it.

9. Jan 22, 2008 at 7:26 PM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've had one of these for a while (shackle/clevis receiver mount), and there's absolutely no way (that I've found) to satisfactorily lock the shackle/clevis to the mount. At least so far, nobody's figured it out...

As for keeping it inside the truck...I'm too lazy to hook it up every time I'd need it...

10. Jan 22, 2008 at 7:52 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    If this clevis hook has the thumbscrew, just replace with a longer grade 8 hex bolt, tightened firmly, then put an interference(crimped type) locknut on the exposed threads. The locknut does not have to be run all the way on, just partially up the threads enough to make a "grab and run" difficult.

If it uses a clevis pin with cotter pin, replace clevis pin with padlock untill needed for heavy job; replace padlock with pin if a heavy job, or if clevis pin is large enough drill out cotter pin hole large enough for a small but sturdy padlock, again just to deter a grab and run type theft.

If neither is doable, make sure it is safely stored so it does not become a deadly projectile in a wreck.

11. Apr 30, 2008 at 8:42 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    [​IMG]
    Got one like this at Academy Sports for $19. Use a locking pin to keep it from walking off. Use with chains or straps and it's rated at 10,000#.

Here's another: http://www.etrailer.com/c-wth.htm

12. May 1, 2008 at 8:23 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i dont need mine that often, so i just have it behind one of my back seats. when i need to use it i just slide it in the reciever and put the hitch pin in, it literally takes less than a minute

13. May 21, 2008 at 7:10 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    mine have been on my truck long enough that i cant undo them by hand...it takes a wrench and some elbow grease

and while someone could still take them...i think i paid like 15 bucks for all 4 of mine so i really dont care enough to take them off and on...i use them for dog tie outs when im outside working on the truck so they get used a good bit :D

Products Discussed in

To Top