Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Where can I get the trailer hitch clevis attachment?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:26 AM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Where can I get the trailer hitch clevis attachment?

I'm looking for the thing that fits into the receiver hitch that allows a clevis to be put in. The "U" shaped one, not the straight pin.

I want to use the hitch as a tow strap recovery/tow point. But, looked at many sites and only see cover plates, ball, pintels, risers, etc.

Not a durn thing for attachment of a device to put a clevis in it.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, you're a genius. I didn't know where to start looking. What keeps the clevis from being unscrewed and stolen?

I live in L.A. the opportunistic theif capital of the world.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #4
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a lock that would secure the drawbar to the receiver on the truck, but there is no way I can think of that you could secure the shackle (clevis as you call it) to the drawbar. You would have to un-screw it yourself and keep it in the cab, and just remember to put it on before you went wheelin'

Regards
Old 01-20-2008, 05:58 AM   #5
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, thats no fun. Gotta make like you use it all the time and have synthetic dirt professionally applied on the truck.

Well perhaps a small cable through it w/ lock.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
As a matter of fact I was looking for one myself yesterday and could not find one, I found a regular hook that was welded to to the receiver but no clevis attachments. What I am thinking of doing is getting is some 2" stock and drilling a couple of holes, and for theft protection, just keep it in the cab, out of site out of mind.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:57 AM   #7
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

marvin02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
What keeps the clevis from being unscrewed and stolen?
Could you use another locking hitch pin through the clevis? The same as you use to secure the drawbar to the hitch? If the one holding your drawbar will hold the load, another one through the clevis should be fine. If you buy both at the same dealer you might be able to get them keyed alike.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Ah, you're a genius. I didn't know where to start looking. What keeps the clevis from being unscrewed and stolen?

I live in L.A. the opportunistic theif capital of the world.
Nothing that's sure-proof. You're better off leaving the d-ring & drawbar stuff inside your truck until you need it.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
I've had one of these for a while (shackle/clevis receiver mount), and there's absolutely no way (that I've found) to satisfactorily lock the shackle/clevis to the mount. At least so far, nobody's figured it out...

As for keeping it inside the truck...I'm too lazy to hook it up every time I'd need it...
Old 01-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
LRH is on a distinguished road
LRH's Tacoma Gallery
If this clevis hook has the thumbscrew, just replace with a longer grade 8 hex bolt, tightened firmly, then put an interference(crimped type) locknut on the exposed threads. The locknut does not have to be run all the way on, just partially up the threads enough to make a "grab and run" difficult.

If it uses a clevis pin with cotter pin, replace clevis pin with padlock untill needed for heavy job; replace padlock with pin if a heavy job, or if clevis pin is large enough drill out cotter pin hole large enough for a small but sturdy padlock, again just to deter a grab and run type theft.

If neither is doable, make sure it is safely stored so it does not become a deadly projectile in a wreck.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #11
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery

Got one like this at Academy Sports for $19. Use a locking pin to keep it from walking off. Use with chains or straps and it's rated at 10,000#.

Here's another: http://www.etrailer.com/c-wth.htm
Old 05-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i dont need mine that often, so i just have it behind one of my back seats. when i need to use it i just slide it in the reciever and put the hitch pin in, it literally takes less than a minute
Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
mine have been on my truck long enough that i cant undo them by hand...it takes a wrench and some elbow grease

and while someone could still take them...i think i paid like 15 bucks for all 4 of mine so i really dont care enough to take them off and on...i use them for dog tie outs when im outside working on the truck so they get used a good bit