Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Dinghy Tow

Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #21
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
if it were me.. and i had your setup.. i'd flat tow it in a second. the only things that will be turning when flat towing with the tcase in neutral will be the rear axle, rear drive shaft, and front cv's.. everyone knows it dosnt hurt the rear axle or driveshaft to spin from being towed... and the front cv's spin when your driving in 2wd anyways so it dosnt know the difference...
Old 10-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #22
HankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud of
Name: Hank
HankB's Tacoma Gallery
One problem I've heard of (and I don't know if this applies to Toyotas) is that some of the driven parts do not reach the oil and will not stay lubricated for long tows. For example, during normal driving, if the vehicle is moving, the input shaft is moving. If lubrication depends on a slinger driven by the input shaft, it may not be lubricated when the transfer case is driven by the wheels and the input shaft is not moving. That's absolutely the case with an automatic transmission - the engine must be turning for lubrication. I suspect it is highly unlikely to be the case with a modern truck, but you might talk to someone familiar with the transmission internals to know for sure. If the output shaft sits higher in the transfer case than the input shaft, I would want to make sure that oil reaches it.

Then again, maybe Toyota just doesn't want to bother testing their vehicles this way to make sure they'll be OK. Or maybe there are other reasons like front wheel steering that have difficulty with flat towing.

-hank
Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #23
jbrown is on a distinguished road
Name: Joel
jbrown's Tacoma Gallery
dinghy tow

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have flat towed my Tacoma for almost 4,000 miles, only by putting both the manual trans and manual transfer case in neutral. I've driven it in both 2 a 4 wheel drive, and have not had any problems.