1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tow package wiring harness

Discussion in 'Towing' started by jsb, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Feb 1, 2008 at 5:21 AM
    jsb

jsb [OP] Member

Member:
    I just put a tow hitch and wire harness from the dealer on my '07 Tacoma. They both came with directions from the dealer however the directions for the harness were a little less than adequate since the harness is a mass of wires with nothing labeled. I was expecting some little union or something but instead what I got looked like I was going to have to rewire the entire truck. No Fear though, I'll give you the info I was missing so you don't have to spend an hour or so visualizing how this octopus is going to fit.
    1. start off by knowing that the little black box in the middle of the main set of wires is going to mount inside your left rear tail light box on the nice flat wall beside the bed.
    2. there are 2 set's of wires with double end's. one has a long set of wire and the other is a short set of wires. The short set is the left tail light and the long set is the right tail light.
    3. the seperate long wire with a plug on one end and a round connector w/fuse on the other is run from the battery to the left rear bottom of the truck. Basically just follow the brake lines and keep it secure with the wire ties.
    4. now just follow the directions the dealer gives you and you'll be fine.
    hope this helps someone...............

2. Feb 1, 2008 at 6:54 AM
    Bill in Ky

Bill in Ky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bright White 08 Reg 4X4 2.7 5spd SR5
    I got my first 4x4 in 1972...haven't been without one! I still like Chrome!
    I just finished building my own receiver hitch and now I need the
    wiring harness, may I ask how much they cost from the dealer?
    I have seen some aftermarket ones available also.

Thanks for your post, it will be useful regardless of the one I get.
    And welcome to TW

3. Feb 2, 2008 at 4:47 PM
    jsb

jsb [OP] Member

Member:
    Bill,
    the hitch was $161.67 and the harness was $96.44. I went with OEM because I didn't want any splices or drilling.

JSB

4. Feb 2, 2008 at 6:33 PM
    Terrier

Terrier Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 2.7
    jsb, did you have any trouble finding the connector point in the passenger compartment? There was a post last November where someone was having difficulty finding the connection. The post is listed below in "Similar Threads", titled "Wiring harness".
    I want to install my wiring harness in the spring; however, I am concerned about being able to find the connection point "4P". Look forward to your response.

5. Feb 2, 2008 at 10:04 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Luckily I bought my truck with a factory hitch and wiring harness, but now I am getting this greenish corrosion slime on the contacts, is there something I can spray or apply to prevent this ?

6. Feb 3, 2008 at 2:23 PM
    jsb

jsb [OP] Member

Member:
    terrier:
    the line that runs from the left light to the right light has a male end and a female end, just like what's there already. You just simply unplug the taillight and plug in the harness male to the light's female then plug the harness' female to the original male plug. It's really a no brainer once you get to that point.

Jedi:
    clean up the connection with a wire brush then spray it down with some silicone spray.

7. Feb 3, 2008 at 5:52 PM
    Terrier

Terrier Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 2.7
    Thanks jsb. Just so we are on the same page, is the connection to which you refer behind the kick panel or under the steering wheel area in the cab? Or, are you talking about under the bed near the tailights? I'm talking about the connection inside the cab.

8. Feb 4, 2008 at 3:14 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Thanks jsb, will do.

Products Discussed in

To Top