1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cross Country?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by leg killa, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Oct 20, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    leg killa

leg killa [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    TRD Hood/ Color matched grill/ De badged/ BHLM/ Viper remote start/ Pioneer AVIC Z-130BT/ BFG MT KM2/ MT Classic II/ OME Lift/ LR UCAs/ Pop and Lock
    this is my first thread on this forum..pretty new to the truck world..so heres my story

so im stationed on fort bragg, NC and i have a good chance on being stationed in washington state....i want to tow my wifes chevy colbat which weighs about 2800 lbs..i will need to get a tow package, tranny cooler..i dont have the tsb thing done..if i do this i plan on renting a dolly or something from u haul

could i do this? would it suck really bad? if i do get sent to washington state it will be next summer which leaves me alot of time to upgrade my truck

ive been thinking about this for awhile so any help will be nice

2. Oct 21, 2009 at 5:49 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    Your truck should have a tow rating of 5,000 pounds without the tow package. Put a good Class 3 hitch on and you should be fine.

3. Oct 21, 2009 at 6:06 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    You may have trouble at Uhaul. When you go to rent the trailer, they will ask what kind of car you are towing and what truck you will be using to tow it with. My dad wanted to rent a trailer to tow my mom's old little Kia with his Silverado, and they said it was too heavy. They have a very restrictive towing capacity. Guess they dont want any liability. Just a heads up. Good luck!

4. Oct 21, 2009 at 6:18 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Your truck will be fine. There really isn't that much tongue weight so I really wouldn't worry to much about upgrading the suspension. I towed an old Porsche 914 from Cincinnati OH down to Atlanta GA. The Porsche probably weights roughtly the same as the Cobalt. I would suggest getting a car hauler instead of a dolly, you cannot back up with a dolly. Good Luck!

5. Oct 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    leg killa

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    TRD Hood/ Color matched grill/ De badged/ BHLM/ Viper remote start/ Pioneer AVIC Z-130BT/ BFG MT KM2/ MT Classic II/ OME Lift/ LR UCAs/ Pop and Lock
    Thanks for the info guys..what all does the tow package consist of? Sorry if it's a dumb question..I googled it and it had a 200 dollar part..

6. Oct 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Towing packages usually consist of a heavy duty alternator, trans. oil cooler, trailer hitch and wiring. Thats about it. The biggest thing is the trans oil cooler, and hitch!

7. Oct 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    leg killa

Member:
    AMERICA
    Vehicle:
    06 SBDB SR5 4x4
    thanks for all the info..

Products Discussed in

To Top