Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

class 3 hitch ?

Old 11-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
trd taco guy is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
trd taco guy's Tacoma Gallery
class 3 hitch ?

okay so i bought a 09 4x4 V6 trd sport unfortunetly without a tow package i just put a curt class 3 hitch i love the hitch so far nice quality but i have a question about tow compacity with a class three hitch. i know the hitch itself can tow up to 5000lbs without a weight distribution setup but someone told me that without a factory tow package the tacoma can only tow 3500lbs. is that true i know the bumper itself can tow that much i would think with a hitch i chould be able to tow at least the max rating for the hitch.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
20Tacoma10 is on a distinguished road
Name: Marc
20Tacoma10's Tacoma Gallery
I know that the factory tow package that I have also includes a transmission and oil cooler. I don't know if that makes a huge difference though. My manual says the way its set up can tow up to 6500.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
ofrd4fun is on a distinguished road
ofrd4fun's Tacoma Gallery
You can tow up to 5000lbs with the V6 and no tow package.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know why this is but in Canada the tow rating is 5000lbs without a tow package, but in the US it is only 3500lbs ...I asked about this before, but it wasn't answered.

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/specs.html

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObje...131040e%2ehtml
Old 11-25-2009, 04:47 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxySandChick View Post
I don't know why this is but in Canada the tow rating is 5000lbs without a tow package, but in the US it is only 3500lbs ...I asked about this before, but it wasn't answered.

If you look at this site... (canada)
There's two listings for towing capacity. 3500lbs & 5,000lbs.
It looks like the 4X2 has the 3500lbs while the 4x4's have the 5,000lbs.
Somewhat confusing, as they don't list any info for towing capacity on the trucks with towing package. I don't see any info about 6500lbs capacity like the US site has.

For the U.S. site.....
Standard Towing capacity 3500lbs and Maximum towing 5,000lbs.
Again -somewhat confusing.... they don't mention WHAT "Standard" means especially when you have a certain truck picked at the top. I'm figuring - the standard capacity is for the 4X2's while the Maximum is for 4X4's.

It's all the same.... The websites make it confusing to understand.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
If you look at this site... (canada)
There's two listings for towing capacity. 3500lbs & 5,000lbs.
It looks like the 4X2 has the 3500lbs while the 4x4's have the 5,000lbs.
Somewhat confusing, as they don't list any info for towing capacity on the trucks with towing package. I don't see any info about 6500lbs capacity like the US site has.

For the U.S. site.....
Standard Towing capacity 3500lbs and Maximum towing 5,000lbs.
Again -somewhat confusing.... they don't mention WHAT "Standard" means especially when you have a certain truck picked at the top. I'm figuring - the standard capacity is for the 4X2's while the Maximum is for 4X4's.

It's all the same.... The websites make it confusing to understand.
Actually if you look at the Canada site, it is 3500lbs for the 4cyl and 5500lbs for the V6. Note the 4x4 Access cab 4cyl in the 2nd column. Maybe the Canada V6's all come with the oil cooler and larger alternator, but why 5000lbs and not 6500lbs??

Are all V6's in Canada 4x4?

For the US....
I don't see any listed as 5000lbs on the US site??
Standard is without towing package=3500lbs for all models
Max is V6 with towing package=6500lbs (click on the blue 5)

It has nothing to do with 4x4 or 4x2 on either site, it is by V6 or 4 cyl.

Yup, confusing.....why is Canada V6 tow package 5000lbs and the same set up in US 6500lbs?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't see any listed as 5000lbs on the US site??
Yup, confusing.....why is Canada V6 tow package 5500lbs and the same set up in US 6500lbs?
I had sooo many pages open and I swore I saw 5,000 but I can't find it now.

Does anyone in canada (with tow package & V6) have their window stickers and can let us know what it says......atleast, I think it has that listed.
I wouldn't even trust the owners manual because they're not specific enough to any given vehicle.

I'm pretty sure they're both the same trucks in terms of capabilities...it's just an online/ internet nightmare that's hard to understand. The sales people (or anyone) at the dealerships would be clueless about all that.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
It's 3500 if you install a ball in the bumper (it says this in the plastic top cap on the bumper itself) and 5000 with a class 3 or 4 hitch installed. I'll look in the manual tonight.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
I think I'm more confused then when I asked the question in the first place I don't care about Canada my truck is in the US just trying to find out if I can tow 5000 lbs safely
Old 11-26-2009, 05:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trd taco guy View Post
I think I'm more confused then when I asked the question in the first place I don't care about Canada my truck is in the US just trying to find out if I can tow 5000 lbs safely
In the US without a factory tow package (oil/trans cooler, large alternator) the limit is 3500lbs.
With the tow package it is 6500lbs.
Both #'s is with a class 3 hitch (factory or aftermarket).

But hypothetically without the tow package you could tow up to 6500lbs if you kept an eye on your temps....flat ground, cool weather, short distance.. would help a lot I'd think. They only thing the tow package really affects is your transmission and oil temps, so keep those under control. Your truck has the same power and stopping ability as a truck without the tow package. So yes you could do it with caution and I'd change my fluids after towing and maybe even before.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Maverick's towing bible

The sticky under the towing section
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tow...ing-bible.html

If you scroll down in the first post, Maverick has the tow rates listed.
I did not have factory tow and added an aftermarket frame mounted hitch that is rated at 5000lbs & 4 pin wiring harness. All the trailers I tow are rated under 3500lbs. There is lots of good info in that section.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
I'm pretty sure the factory hitch is a class four. ... So what's the point in even adding a class three hitch if I am only "supposed" to tow a max of 3500 lbs without a tow package I might as well just add a ball to my bumper cause that is the max weight it's rated for. I'm pretty sure my truck should be able to tow up to 5000lbs (class 3 hitch max) without too much trouble as mentioned earlier the truck doesn't change weight or braking ability with or without a tow package just have to watch the temps
Old 11-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd taco guy View Post
I'm pretty sure the factory hitch is a class four. ... So what's the point in even adding a class three hitch if I am only "supposed" to tow a max of 3500 lbs without a tow package I might as well just add a ball to my bumper cause that is the max weight it's rated for. I'm pretty sure my truck should be able to tow up to 5000lbs (class 3 hitch max) without too much trouble as mentioned earlier the truck doesn't change weight or braking ability with or without a tow package just have to watch the temps
Your truck WILL be able to handle 5000lbs. Although I did add a large transmission cooler and rear air bags as a little insurance!!! Just make sure whatever you're pulling has brakes that work!!!

Cheers
Old 11-27-2009, 03:14 AM   #14
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
The only trucks rated for 3,500 pounds are the 5 lug, 4 cylinder trucks. All the 6 lug trucks, 4x2 and 4x4, are rated for 5,000 pounds w/o the factory towing package and 6,500 pounds with the factory tow package.

The factory tow package has a class 4 hitch because class 3 stops at 5,000 pounds.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
The only trucks rated for 3,500 pounds are the 5 lug, 4 cylinder trucks. All the 6 lug trucks, 4x2 and 4x4, are rated for 5,000 pounds w/o the factory towing package and 6,500 pounds with the factory tow package.

The factory tow package has a class 4 hitch because class 3 stops at 5,000 pounds.
Could you please provide the link where this information is located? As noted above according to the Toyota.com (US) specs your information is not correct. http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/specs.html
The 6 lug V6 4x2 4x4 trucks without the factory tow package are rated at 3500lbs, with the tow package at 6500lbs. There is no 5000lb rating.
All 4cyl models and the xrunner are rated at 3500lbs.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #16
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Could you please provide the link where this information is located? As noted above according to the Toyota.com (US) specs your information is not correct. http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/specs.html
The 6 lug V6 4x2 4x4 trucks without the factory tow package are rated at 3500lbs, with the tow package at 6500lbs. There is no 5000lb rating.
All 4cyl models and the xrunner are rated at 3500lbs.
Went back and double checked my '09 manual and you are right. It is 3500 lbs w/o the tow package and 6500 with the tow package no matter what the engine or suspension.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #18
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDBoy View Post
Are the Canada numbers in kilograms? Just a thought.
um.... NO

5000kg is about 11,000 lb!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #19
Off the Canadian site:

Hitch up and hit the road with Tacoma's V6 towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. (2,268 kg.) Add the 4X4's TRD Off Road Package (Access Cab), TRD Sport Package or Leather Package (Double Cab models) and increase the load to a whopping 6,500 lbs. (2,948 kg). A Front Tow Hook on all 4x4 models will let you come to the rescue of lesser vehicles.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofrd4fun View Post
Off the Canadian site:

Hitch up and hit the road with Tacoma's V6 towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. (2,268 kg.) Add the 4X4's TRD Off Road Package (Access Cab), TRD Sport Package or Leather Package (Double Cab models) and increase the load to a whopping 6,500 lbs. (2,948 kg). A Front Tow Hook on all 4x4 models will let you come to the rescue of lesser vehicles.
Thanks, this has been discussed. Seems all the TRD models in Canada come with the factory tow package which is 6500lbs.

But why is the V6 without tow package rated at 5000lbs in Canada and only 3500lbs in the US???