Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Need towing advice...quick

Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Need towing advice...quick

Vehicle is a 2008 4 cyl, manual trans 4x4 access cab. I bought it a couple of weeks ago. I told the sales guy that I towed a boat twice a year from the launch to the pole barn (one mile). The boat and trailer is probably at, or a little under the 3500 limit rating for the Taco.

Heres my question: Do I need this expensive hitch he sold me (it isn't installed yet) I was reading the manual a found the bumper will take a ball and is rated at 350/3500lbs...whats the point of paying for an expensive hitch if all I can pull is 3500 anyway...and can do it with the ball on the bumper? -OR- does the addition of a classII hitch increase the towing capicity???? AND will the little 4cyl do it?? Need advice Please. George
Old 03-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Oops....I think I found the answer on another thread...sorry.

But any further input by you "pros" would be appreciated.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #3

nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks,
The hitch is a class III and with all the wiring I got them down to a couple hundred bucks (they did that to make the sale). I'm going ahead with the receiver installation , it sounds like the best way to go.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
Thanks,
The hitch is a class III and with all the wiring I got them down to a couple hundred bucks (they did that to make the sale). I'm going ahead with the receiver installation , it sounds like the best way to go.
Might as well. Dealer installed, warrantied, and you don't have to deal with the wiring!