1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller

Discussion in 'Towing' started by WVU #1 Fan, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Jan 17, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    WVU #1 Fan

WVU #1 Fan [OP] Member

Member:
    Has anyone installed one of these in their Tacoma? Where did it fit properly under the dash and does the wiring harness that comes in the glove compartment and does it easily connect to the controller for proper use?

Any pictures of the installation would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. Jan 17, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    F-125Racer

F-125Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09,DC,TRD Sport, 4WD, TRD S/C
    I had one for two weeks. I temp wired it in, and experimented pulling my 4,500lb trailer with it. It worked ok, but I couldn't find anywhere to mount it that didn't look cobbed up, or didn't hit my knees. I ended up returning it, and instead got an Activator III. The main part you can mount anywhere in any position, then plug the handheld unit in when you are towing. It works just fine, just play with the adjustments some. Check the "Towing Bible" thread by Maverick, he's the MAN.

3. Jan 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    WVU #1 Fan

WVU #1 Fan [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks I will look into that controller as well and the tip on the other thread.

4. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    MudDog

MudDog Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner SR5
    I mounted mine just below the fuse panel cover on the driver side. Haven't had any problems with my knee hitting it and if I need to get into the fuse panel, I can slide the Prodigy out of the mount.

For the wiring, you can either get a Tacoma specific harness from Tekonsha and plug straight into the harness under the dash, or you can use the generic harness in the glove box and map the wires yourself. I ended using the gerneric harness and wiring it myself...somewhere I have the diagram of what wire from the Prodigy goes to what wire on the Tacoma side...

prodigy_install.jpg

5. Jan 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    cspcrx

cspcrx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Sport 4x4 Cement
    look a few pages down. I showed how I mounted mine in the storage space below the lighter.

6. Jan 20, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    lezavw90

lezavw90 Active Member

Member:
    I don't have any pictures, but I temporarily mounted my brake controller.
    I removed the little tray that covers the fuse holder
    Put a small strip of that one-sided sticky foam (that they use for canopies) just above the fuse holder access.
    I bought a really heavy duty spring clamp (you can use 2 if you like)
    Whenever I need to tow something, I can just pop the door out and clamp the controller in the spot, the clamp holds really well and it hasnt' moved once while towing. I only tow a trailer about 3 times a year and didn't want something permenatly bolted to the dash in the way. Maybe if anyone is interested I'll take some pics.

7. Jan 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    P-Hill Tacoma

P-Hill Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Short Bed 4WD Off Road Barcelona Red
    Fr Bilsteins@1.75", Rr Bilsteins w/ 1.5" AAL & RideRite Airbags, Truxedo Lo-Pro Tonneau, Step Tubes, 1.25" Spidertrax
    I mounted mine just below the little tray that covers the fuse holder with velcro. I only use it about 2 times a year so leaving it hanging there all the time didn't make since. It also interfered with opening the little tray door. When not in use I can unplug it and throw it under the back seat with the hitch. Just push the wire up under the dash. I also realized that instead of mounting the garage door opener on the visor which is unusually thick, I attached some velcro to it and it is mounted in the same spot when the brake controller isn't there. Make sure you put the soft fuzzy side of the velcro on the truck.

8. Jan 27, 2010 at 1:25 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    I used velcro and mounted mine in the cubby above the cup holders. When not in use I disconnect it an leave it in the house. Yes, the wiring harness in the glove box is what you use. There are specific color coding wiring instructions for Toyotas that are included w/ the controller.

9. Jan 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Yeah this is exactly how I mounted mine :)

10. Jan 31, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    KnobleOne

KnobleOne Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Upsate New York
    Vehicle:
    09 DblCab Longbed TRD
    Here is a photo of where I installed the Prodigy brake controller in a 2009 Tacoma. I used a third party wiring harness that plugs into the factory lead and the Prodigy. Snaking the harness was difficult but it can be done. I recommend removing the panel around the HVAC controls and the pnael under the steering column.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/60678/cat/500/ppuser/20528

11. Feb 2, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    VTsullyman

VTsullyman Member

Member:
    Blacksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 TRD sport
    I did the same thing with mine, no problems at all.

12. Feb 4, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    Noup neither of all these type of installation, I did installed mine at the left side of the rear view mirror, this way I can reach the manual trailer breaking control with my right hand, I ran a cable via the left post and got a fused direct power from the battery, I connect this to the cable that comes with the Tacoma (Towing package) to the Tekonsha brake cable and that it is. I bolted the brake controller holster to the ceiling and with this setup the installation is clean and I think it is extremely secured. The holster is kept all the time in the same place the controller is connected when needed it, with no controller in the holster the visor (to protect from sunlight) does not affect its use, but when connected it does a little bit. Sorry no photos yet, I will posted later.

Products Discussed in

To Top