Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

wiring up my trailor lights....

Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
s2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Lee
s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
wiring up my trailor lights....

hey guys i was going to help some friends of mine move to their new apartment and borrowed a trailor from another friend to save on trips back and forth. it was just a little 8ft trailor and had the normal 4flat plug on it for the lights. well the one that was on the truck when i bought it had the ground plug broken off and was really short way up under the truck jammed against the spare. so i went and bought another from walmart and went to throw it on there. when i got under there i noticed that the plug that was on there actually had 5 wires coming from the truck into the plug. white, brown, yellow, red and green. on the plug they were labeled ground, tail/marker, left turn, brake, right turn. heres a picture of it:

when i made my connections i connected the red(brake) and the brown(tail/marker) together because i would think they would have been the same. well this actually caused my cruise control to not set at a constant speed by cancelling when the lights were on. if the lights were off then it would work properly. you could set the cruise and drive down the road, turn the lights on and it was like hitting the brakes to cancel. so i snipped the red wire and all was back to normal. well when i did that the brake lights on the trailor did not work. the turn signals and the tail lights were good but no brakes lights.

anyone else have this problem or know what i did wrong or how to solve it? sorry for the super long post but i wanted to make sure i was clear and not confusing anyone.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
s2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to behold

s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
bump to the the top. looking for any help
Old 01-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
Did it come with a wiring diagram? What year is your truck - more importantly do you have separate break and turn signal lights? Maybe you just have the wrong wiring kit...

Mike
Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #4

s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
i just got a generic 4 flat trailor kit. as for a diagram it just said connect them accordingly and i just transfered them over to the new plug. and i had the brake one left over
Old 01-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
saltbranch has a spectacular aura aboutsaltbranch has a spectacular aura about
saltbranch's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota,Nissan and the other import trucks use a 5 wire setup, American trucks have the 4 wire setup. You need to use the converter in the pic, scratch the walmart unit. The ground wire should not be all that important as the trailer will ground through the ball at the hitch. On the truck side you do not want to tie in the brake with the running lights...this is where the converter is needed for the flat 4 connector
Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
saltbranch has a spectacular aura aboutsaltbranch has a spectacular aura about
saltbranch's Tacoma Gallery
The flat 4 from walmart will not work going from your truck to the trailer, you need the converter.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #7

s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
okay so ill need to get another converter like i took off? perfect. thank you for the help. i knew someone would be able to answer this!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
mcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mcgiiver's Tacoma Gallery
Same Problem.

What year is your truck and does it have LED brake lights? My '09 has LEDs and I have been through two convertors already which did not work. Same problems your having with cruise. One was a Valley convertor and the other was T-One from eTrailer.com, both units backfed current from the turn signals to the brake light circuit causing the problem. I spoke with Valley before ordering their convertor and they assured me it would not be a problem, well it was. I was looking at Hopkins and Curt convertors next. Both factories assured me they would work, You say the Hopkins does not so that leaves me to try Curt. I see now that Etrailer.com has a special covertor for LEDs but it is not the snap in type, it needs to hard wired in. This backfeed problem also played havoc with my ABS and Slip control systems.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just use the Toyota stuff and be done with it? Wasted time, money and possible electrical troubles are the true cost of cheapness....
Old 03-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
Coolidge will become famous soon enough

Name: Guy
Coolidge's Tacoma Gallery
Im using a Toyota converter on my 04. Works fine BUT...I believe they are disc. from Toyota?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
The Hopkins converter/harness works perfectly well on my '09.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
mcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mcgiiver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
The Hopkins converter/harness works perfectly well on my '09.
As noted in my previous post. I did not personally try the Hopkins convertor, I depended on someone else telling me it would not work, so I went with the Curt unit. You might want to check the operation with your cruise control and turn signals at the same time. I hope you have truly found your solution.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
webb323 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
webb323's Tacoma Gallery
Where can i get one of these converters????? Ive even looked on their website and can not find it. My trailer wires are useless because no decent minded person wires their trailer with a 5 wire set up lol. Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #14
webb323's Tacoma Gallery
I've been to 3 local wal marts, all of the local auto parts stores and tractor supply and home depot, and no one has a 5 wire flat to 4 wire flat adapter. All i can find is 4 wire flat to 5 wire flat.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #15
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by webb323 View Post
I've been to 3 local wal marts, all of the local auto parts stores and tractor supply and home depot, and no one has a 5 wire flat to 4 wire flat adapter. All i can find is 4 wire flat to 5 wire flat.
Flip it around...
Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
webb323's Tacoma Gallery
Then i would have to male sides trying to go together.... that doesnt work
Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #17
webb323's Tacoma Gallery
two*
Old 04-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #18
SLO Taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
SLO Taco's Tacoma Gallery
They have them on Amazon.com also.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
Jerry Bear has a spectacular aura aboutJerry Bear has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jerry
Jerry Bear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by webb323 View Post
Where can i get one of these converters????? Ive even looked on their website and can not find it. My trailer wires are useless because no decent minded person wires their trailer with a 5 wire set up lol. Thanks
If I understand you correctly, you have a 5 wire flat socket on the truck and a 4 wire flat plug on the trailer.

You shouldn't need a converter.

Plug the 4-wire trailer plug into the 5-wire truck socket, leaving the hole on the far end of the truck socket disconnected. If the 5-wire socket is wired normally, that's all you need to do.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #20
webb323's Tacoma Gallery
Tractor supply and home depot both have trailer wiring stuff and none of the auto parts stores show they can get it. but if someone who isnt a smart ass would like to send me a link to one id be very appreciative. And tried just plugging it up, and it didnt work

Thanks