Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Trailer Light problem

Old 03-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
The One The Only
rhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitchell
rhion82's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer Light problem

Ok after searching this fourm to find my problem I am more lost then what i was. My boat trailer lights do not work when they are hooked up on my taco. I redid the boat trailers wire to make sure that didnt work but of course that didnt help any.

I used my meter to see if I am getting any fire on my trailer plug. After testing all of them, none of them showed any fire coming to the back of the truck. So i traced the harness back to the tailight and checked those fuses. One of the caution light fuses was blown so I figured that might have been the problem but after replacing that fuse still nothing. There is also a black box where the wires run in and out of. Idk if this is the problem or not but I didnt want to break anything by opening it up.

Then I figured maybe the fuses up front are blown. But after checking them they seemed all right.

I have gave up on trying to fix this thing. I've bout got to the point in going a buying a whole new harness and installing it which I would rather not buy. Any tell me what they think the problem is?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
chugchug is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
chugchug's Tacoma Gallery
if it is an after market harness the convert box might be bad. check to see if you have power before the box and if you find power before the box and not after it is bad. if it is factor harness there might be a second fuse bow.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
The One The Only
rhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhion82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitchell
rhion82's Tacoma Gallery
Where can I find a diagram for the harness online?

Also the fuses behind the tail light are getting no power. I replaced all the fuses and still got no power. So i reckon that it might be that box. What is that box called anyway so I wont look like a dumb ass at auto zone. lol
Old 06-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
stingray4me is on a distinguished road
Air Force: comm
Name: pat
stingray4me's Tacoma Gallery
Smile fixed trailer lights !

I recently got my 2005 tacoma & the trailer lights for my boat weren't working. I too checked the fuses that were good in the cab & under the hood. I looked under the rear bumper to look at the wires & felt with my finger tips in the area around the corner of the back of the truck on the drivers side & inside the frame you can barely feel some fuses there. I just found 2 bad ones there. There are at least 3 there. Like I said you cant see them you have to feel for them. I checked it out with a volt meter & I now have the voltage for the trailer lights !!!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Is the box Factory or is it a retrofit?

Is it a 4-pin connection?

Japanese automobiles require a converter because they have rear amber blinkers, while american cars usually just have flashing taillight-style blinkers. It's basically a circuit board with a few diodes on it that ensure power fed to the tail light blinkers don't illuminate your brake lights when they're spliced into them like that.

turn your lights on, and see if you have 12v at any of the wires to your frame as they come into the box, thats a real easy way to tell.