Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Ever back a trailer into a hard spot ?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
JCMINIS is on a distinguished road

JCMINIS's Tacoma Gallery
Ever back a trailer into a hard spot ?

My grandfather left me a 60+ year old wood cook stove,no room in house currently so I put it in my storage shed.Stove is 500 pnds or better and I dont want to move it far.Time to test my backing skills and my nerves.Didnt take me as long as I thought, couple of tries and I was in.

Backed in.

The path.

The slope.

The stove.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
zanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to allzanodave is a name known to all

Army:
zanodave's Tacoma Gallery
great looking stove. oh great jog at backing the trailer.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
my driveway, its narrow as hell!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
I do it all day at my job. I'm a Class A delivery driver for Anheuser- Busch. 36 foot trailers every day!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
My road is about 1/4 mile long and very narrow. I had to back our 20' trailer (I know, the longer the trailer, the easier it is to back) all the way down one time because I had forgotten something and didn't want to have to turn around somewhere on the main road. You have to use the mirrors
Old 03-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do it all day at my job. I'm a Class A delivery driver for Anheuser- Busch. 36 foot trailers every day!
As stated above, the longer the trailer the easier it is to back up. Try backing up an air compressor trailer. You barely turn the steering wheel and it will jacknife on you in a heartbeat if you don't watch it.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
As stated above, the longer the trailer the easier it is to back up. Try backing up an air compressor trailer. You barely turn the steering wheel and it will jacknife on you in a heartbeat if you don't watch it.
Yep, I went to the lake last summer with my buddies and I was towing his little jet ski trailer. The wheels on the trailer are like 10' behind my rear tires and it would jackknife instantly if you make a mistake.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
psycho will become famous soon enough

psycho's Tacoma Gallery
the trick for a newby is....grab the bottom of the steering wheel and turn it the way you want your trailer to go. thats how i was taught anyway
Old 03-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I sure have. That's why I put a hitch on the front of my truck....a million times easier! It even saved me in the ice once when I had to *push* my trailer back down the mountain I couldn't get up with no chains.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
hey i like your long bed with the front bumper.
and what lift do you have up front?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
JCMINIS is on a distinguished road

JCMINIS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
hey i like your long bed with the front bumper.
and what lift do you have up front?
Thanks,as for the front its a Hell bent steel 2.5 spacer kit,just TSB in rear.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, I haul trailers all the time and backing them up is always necessary. I usually have to back into some tight spots at my jobs, into the parking at home between other trailers (like 6" on either side), and into campsites and such.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
esgordon123 is a jewel in the roughesgordon123 is a jewel in the roughesgordon123 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Eldridge
esgordon123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkie152 View Post
I drive for Roadway and I have to back into some tight spots with a 53' trailer
Old 07-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Its a thing of beuaty to see someone back any size trailer in a tight spot with one try
Old 07-19-2010, 03:03 AM   #16
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttylerr View Post
wanna see some good backing up?? watch this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0NRIRIBlr8

beautiful!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #18
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
In the air force I back up loaded tailers of bombs and missiles into hangars so they could be loaded onto the jets. The trailers had front and rear axles and the front ones would turn just like a truck, so its even reversed from backing up a normal trailer and they had surge brakes so if you go to fast the brakes would lock up and you have to start over...

these are the ones I towed
http://www.pdi-gss.com/comparison.htm
Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #19
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Backing small trailers can be a real PITA.

Backing up my buddy's 18ft. tandem axle car trailer is cake compared to backing up the trailer to my waverunner I used to have.

Good job on backing that one, looks like a tight fit.

bb609...impressed, that is definitely a tight squeeze.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #20
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Hardest thing I ever had to back up was a chipper with a F-350 dump body. By the time you could see the thing in the side mirrors, you were already jackknifed. Had to use the shadow of the chute on the ground to figure out where it was. Needless to say, there were a lot of 4 letter words backing that thing down the driveway...