Notices

08 Tacoma trailer hit pre-wiring?

Old 04-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
What's all this, then?
atebit will become famous soon enoughatebit will become famous soon enough

Army: Defend and Serve
atebit's Tacoma Gallery
08 Tacoma trailer hit pre-wiring?

I thought I read someplace in the owner's manual that there's a pre-wired harness tucked into the body on the 08s. I had a look in the bumper area for this harness but I didn't see anything.

The manual didn't state that this was for hitch-equipped vehicles, but I guess it's possible they forgot to mention that part.

I am considering adding a hitch for very light towing, and was just trying to figure out if I could use this pre-wiring (assuming it exists).
Old 04-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
I had some wiring harness in my center councel. Not sure what thats for...
Old 04-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
I believe what you are talking about is for the trucks with the factory towing package. The harness included with these trucks is for connecting the trailer brake controller.

You might read Mavericks post on this. Very informative.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post35022
Old 04-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
KnottyViking is on a distinguished road
KnottyViking's Tacoma Gallery
wiring

I added an after market Receiver and had to buy a separate wiring Module in order to hook up all the lights (something about the rear lights being all on one circuit.?) Anywho it was only 25 bucks and is easy to wire - up. I actually removed the driver side license plate light and put a seven pin trailer conector in the hole, works well because it is nicely protected from the ground when you are doing any serious 4x4'in. Most hitch shops probably stock the wiring module so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

*note there is a fuse in the module itself and if your taillights stop working it is because that fuse is blown.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by atebit View Post
I thought I read someplace in the owner's manual that there's a pre-wired harness tucked into the body on the 08s. I had a look in the bumper area for this harness but I didn't see anything.

The manual didn't state that this was for hitch-equipped vehicles, but I guess it's possible they forgot to mention that part.

I am considering adding a hitch for very light towing, and was just trying to figure out if I could use this pre-wiring (assuming it exists).
Long story short, in a V6 truck all the wiring is there. IE: there is only one wiring harness per engine. However, there are huge parts of it missing. Various pigtails, relays, fuses, and the wiring to the fuse box for those fuses and relays. So yes, while the majority of it is all tucked up in a v6 truck somewhere, getting it all to work is another problem entirely.

With the aid of another TacomaWorld member Boser65 (with a non-tow package equipped truck) , I tried to figure all that out a while back, and reached the conclusion that it would be easier and more cost effective to do it all from scratch, and that is what chapters nine and ten in the Towing Bible cover, are adding a receiver, 4-flat wiring (boat and lightweight non-brake equipped trailers) and then converting that 4-flat to 7-round wiring (most RVs and larger brake equipped trailers)

Part numbers and prices and places to order from are all covered in the Towing Bible. Anything I didn't cover feel free to ask me and I'll try to get it covered and posted up.

Here's the link to the towing bible.

You should read through the whole thing, but your specific questions will be covered in chapter's nine and ten.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Ventura_Taco is on a distinguished road

Air Force: KC-135Q Crew Chief, Okinawa, Japan '86-'90
Ventura_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I installed http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~11839...cleid=20085905 & it was super easy.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
What's all this, then?
atebit will become famous soon enoughatebit will become famous soon enough

Army: Defend and Serve
atebit's Tacoma Gallery
Maverick,

Thanks much for the link....I guess I didn't think to search in the "Techncial Chat" forum, but after having a look there it seems like that's where I oughta START most of my searches! Sorry for the noobism.