1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

08 Tacoma trailer hit pre-wiring?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by atebit, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Apr 27, 2008 at 12:13 PM
    atebit

atebit [OP] What's all this, then?

Member:
    The basement of the Alamo
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    I thought I read someplace in the owner's manual that there's a pre-wired harness tucked into the body on the 08s. I had a look in the bumper area for this harness but I didn't see anything.

The manual didn't state that this was for hitch-equipped vehicles, but I guess it's possible they forgot to mention that part.

I am considering adding a hitch for very light towing, and was just trying to figure out if I could use this pre-wiring (assuming it exists).

2. Apr 27, 2008 at 1:23 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    I had some wiring harness in my center councel. Not sure what thats for...

3. Apr 27, 2008 at 1:58 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
  4. Apr 27, 2008 at 2:55 PM
    KnottyViking

KnottyViking Member

Member:
    Prince George, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Streak, 4x4
    3" Revtek front spacers, 3 extra leafs rear (3-4"), Pro Comp shocks, Toyo M/T 285/75 16's, Black ARB Winch Bumper, Custom aluminum/Chrome headache rack, 5 KC day-lighters (forward), two Hella's (Rear facing). Home-Made - Steel Checkplate Tailgate Cover.
    I added an after market Receiver and had to buy a separate wiring Module in order to hook up all the lights (something about the rear lights being all on one circuit.?) Anywho it was only 25 bucks and is easy to wire - up. I actually removed the driver side license plate light and put a seven pin trailer conector in the hole, works well because it is nicely protected from the ground when you are doing any serious 4x4'in. Most hitch shops probably stock the wiring module so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

*note there is a fuse in the module itself and if your taillights stop working it is because that fuse is blown.

5. Apr 27, 2008 at 3:25 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Long story short, in a V6 truck all the wiring is there. IE: there is only one wiring harness per engine. However, there are huge parts of it missing. Various pigtails, relays, fuses, and the wiring to the fuse box for those fuses and relays. So yes, while the majority of it is all tucked up in a v6 truck somewhere, getting it all to work is another problem entirely.

With the aid of another TacomaWorld member Boser65 (with a non-tow package equipped truck) , I tried to figure all that out a while back, and reached the conclusion that it would be easier and more cost effective to do it all from scratch, and that is what chapters nine and ten in the Towing Bible cover, are adding a receiver, 4-flat wiring (boat and lightweight non-brake equipped trailers) and then converting that 4-flat to 7-round wiring (most RVs and larger brake equipped trailers)

Part numbers and prices and places to order from are all covered in the Towing Bible. Anything I didn't cover feel free to ask me and I'll try to get it covered and posted up.

Here's the link to the towing bible.

You should read through the whole thing, but your specific questions will be covered in chapter's nine and ten.

6. Apr 27, 2008 at 3:36 PM
    Ventura_Taco

Ventura_Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    Pre-Runner
  7. Apr 27, 2008 at 5:55 PM
    atebit

atebit [OP] What's all this, then?

Member:
    The basement of the Alamo
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    Maverick,

Thanks much for the link....I guess I didn't think to search in the "Techncial Chat" forum, but after having a look there it seems like that's where I oughta START most of my searches! Sorry for the noobism.

Products Discussed in

To Top