Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing a pop-up trailer thats about 4000 pounds fully loaded

Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
Towing a pop-up trailer thats about 4000 pounds fully loaded

Do I need a Weight distributing hitch for this? If so, where do I get one and how much do they cost? Is it really involved to get one?

I'm new to towing and may be picking one of these bad boys up this weekend!

Thanks!

Jason
Old 04-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Truck specs? Maximum towing capacity is in the manual.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Personally, I would because you're almost at vehicle weight. It depends on tongue weight.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a boat and its about 5k loaded and it did great pulling it. It got about 9mpg but it had plenty of power, brakes felt very good, and seemed really stable at speed. I wouldn't think you would need a weight distribution hitch.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

FYI. Boats and campers tow differently. I've towed some boats w/o a WD hitch and had no problems. My experience is that campers tend to sway more (especially when getting passed) and the WD is peace of mind.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Taco View Post
FYI. Boats and campers tow differently. I've towed some boats w/o a WD hitch and had no problems. My experience is that campers tend to sway more (especially when getting passed) and the WD is peace of mind.
I've never towed a camper before, just boats and quads. Now that I think about it, I can see how a camper would have a lot more wind resistance.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #7

Cool

Now that I think about it, the dealer was going to make me sign a waiver when I bought my camper if I refused to go wih the W/D. I think they gave me the brake contoller and the W/D for about $300 which was fair. After all, my camper was only $17k +. Lol.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
mpleitez will become famous soon enough
mpleitez's Tacoma Gallery
I would

I would def recommend one. If you ever have to suddenly stop you don't want to fish tail or better yet jacknife that baby! Just my 0.02 Mine def neds one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Do I need a Weight distributing hitch for this? If so, where do I get one and how much do they cost? Is it really involved to get one?

I'm new to towing and may be picking one of these bad boys up this weekend!

Thanks!

Jason
Old 04-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
FOR SURE get a W/D set up. You can get great prices online at some RV accessory shops, and good thing is, if you spend a good amount (and with a W/D set up it should be no prob), they'll ship it for free.

Good thing about getting it locally, they'll more than likely help you set it up for your taco and trailer
Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
where do I get one of these? By the way I have a 2008 Taco 4x4 double cab with two package.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #11

Cool

Reese, Draw-tite, EZ- Lift are all pretty common. If you having a Camping World by you or any RV dealer, they can help you out and would probably install and adjust it for you at minimal cost. They will need your truck and trailer for adjustment.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
where do I buy the actual wieght dist. hitch? Does it replace my existing one that came with the tow package?

Is there welding involved or is it a bolt on?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #13

Cool

The WD hitch has a 2" receiver which goes into your trucks hitch. The receiver has an adjustment for the height of the ball and also the angle it sits. The WD also comes with parts that bolt on to your trailer frame. They connect with bars that distribute the weight (and the trailer ball). If you GOOGLE it, you'll have a better idea.

Did you read the posts above?

Reese, Draw-tite, EZ- Lift are all pretty common. If you having a Camping World by you or any RV dealer, they can help you out and would probably install and adjust it for you at minimal cost. They will need your truck and trailer for adjustment.