Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Who's towing with 33" tires?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
yance is on a distinguished road
yance's Tacoma Gallery
Who's towing with 33" tires?

My 07 double cab 4x4 4.0l v6 trd offroad is coming up for tires and thinking about either 285/75/16's or 255/85/16's (depends on if I want to spend money on wheels). I have already done toytec aal in back and lifted 2.5" in front.

My truck currently has 265/70/16's and typically does fine towing my 16' utility trailer with quads or my 6x12 enclosed trailer at around 10-12mpg with plenty of power to spare. I do tow often (almost every weekend) and usually for long distances.

I have been on the fence for awhile of moving up to a tundra or going with a 3/4ton just because I have worked my tacoma pretty hard. I just really like the sportiness of the tacoma and the fact I get 17-19mpg driving around in my current setup. I have pulled everything from scrap iron to a compact utility tractor to several motorcycles to cars.

Just wondering if the truck feels gutless with the stock 3:73 gears towing these type of loads? What type of fuel mileage are you getting? Or do I come back to reality and go with 265/75/16's to satisfy the need for larger tires? I know it sucks, what looks cool usually doesn't mean practical. What is practical usually isnt as cool....... Any opinions out there with a set up similar to mine?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I tow all the time and didn't notice any drop in power, put in 4 and you'll be fine. Not like the Tacoma is towing monster ya know, get the tundra if you want some serious accleration power while towing.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
jgray is on a distinguished road
Name: josh
jgray's Tacoma Gallery
Mobbin nittos haven't noticed shit
Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
showmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud of

showmeballer's Tacoma Gallery
I don't tow with 33s, but you will lose power and get worse mpgs without regearing. I would just get some 265/75/s and call it a day.

Obviously a 3/4 ton would be better for towing, but it wont get great mpgs when not towing and wont be as sporty around town.

The perfect answer is to get both.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
MushyB is on a distinguished road

MushyB's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MushyB
nice avatar pic showmeballer, long live kenny powers!

back to the original subject. i tow a 23' boat on a single axle trailer w/o trailer brakes and a fully loaded 24' utility trailer dual axle w/o trailer brakes. it tows fine with my 33's. i wouldn't worry about it if you know how to tow right. my clutch doesn't like towing the utility trailer but it does it with ease with the 33's, the truck just never liked towing that trailer even with the stock tires.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
yance's Tacoma Gallery
Its amazing, I posted this almost a year ago and it got revived!

I guess I will post my solution to what I was originally trying to figure out. I bought an 07 Tundra with the 5.7l. My Taco was fine for short trips, but it was no fun on the things I was wanting to tow on the long haul. Miss my Taco, til I press down on the Tundra's go pedal and I can pull any of my trailers with ease. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
tacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robbie
tacomaforlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yance View Post
Its amazing, I posted this almost a year ago and it got revived!

I guess I will post my solution to what I was originally trying to figure out. I bought an 07 Tundra with the 5.7l. My Taco was fine for short trips, but it was no fun on the things I was wanting to tow on the long haul. Miss my Taco, til I press down on the Tundra's go pedal and I can pull any of my trailers with ease. Just my 2 cents.

well the tundra does have power but its a street queen all the way!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
yance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaforlife View Post
well the tundra does have power but its a street queen all the way!
and I guess pre-runners are so awesome for rock crawling?!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I tow with 33s. Gas mileage is a b****
Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I've flat towed a Jeep Wrangler. I have 255/85/16 (33.3") and the jeep is on 33s also.