Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

what kind of camper do you have?

Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of camper do you have?

I went looking at some travel trailers yesterday. Surveyors and Palominos. Little pricey new, but pretty sweet. Gonna check out a couple other places over the next couple of weeks. What kind does everyone have and are there any that I should avoid?

Looking at 19-24 foot probably. Just me and the gf and maybe my dog so I don't need a 27', even though they are pretty sweet. I learned quite a bit from the salesman yesterday, now i just need to pick a brand and floorplan.

I rather have a non bunk-bed plan and more open space. I noticed some of the showers are a little tight height wise; I am a little over 6' tall and my gf is pretty close to the 6' mark. Looks like I can get a used one in the 5-10K range pretty easily which fits in my budget nicely. Anything I should look for on used ones? Should I avoid used ones that are 5+ years old?

Thanks for the help and I can't wait to get trailering!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 1983 paid for jayco pop up! Needs some work, But cant stand to make payments on something that sits in a garage for 8 months out of the year.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard good things about the Jaycos. First I was looking at pop-ups, but I think I like the idea of a TT better.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Go on RvTraderonline.com You can get a good idea of what new and used campers are going for, and different makes/models/floorplans. I've see pop-ups go for the same as travel trailers. Just keep an eye on the weight. The slide-outs are considerably heavier. I was also told that the campers with the kitchen in the rear tow like crap because of the weight. There are alot of Lite models out there, if you go with one of them you may be able to go with 27'.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
TimS is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
TimS's Tacoma Gallery
We grabbed a 2008 Fleetwood Cobalt. First time using coming next friday. Its great for Tacoma's. Lightweight, and rugged.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cool

Yeah, those are nice. Congrats and happy camping!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
soilsample has a spectacular aura aboutsoilsample has a spectacular aura aboutsoilsample has a spectacular aura about
Name: Donald
soilsample's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Passport Ultra Lite by Keystone.
It's 29' bunk house, at 5100# dry it's a big load for the Tacoma.

I suggest hitting as many RV dealers as you can before you buy. We learned so much about different manufacturers and what was good/bad by asking questions at the rv dealers.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
tllstaco is on a distinguished road
tllstaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a picture of my old truck and our Jayco popup. I like it a lot. My wife not so much.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
soilsample has a spectacular aura aboutsoilsample has a spectacular aura aboutsoilsample has a spectacular aura about
Cool pop up!

I had a wife that I didn't like so much one time too! I traded her for an upgrade and I'm much happier now!!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilsample View Post
Cool pop up!

I had a wife that I didn't like so much one time too! I traded her for an upgrade and I'm much happier now!!!!
.....Good one bro.......I'm looking for a pop-up myself!!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
tllstaco is on a distinguished road
tllstaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool pop up!

I like the wife so I'll keep her around. We'll probably just upgrade at some point to a hard side trailer so we have a little more comfort.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future

REVHARD25's Tacoma Gallery
nice camper...ok ok ...what kinda camper do the lady's like????
im kinda looking for a small camper to go out on the weekends ...just for the two of us...so what is a good one
Old 04-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
Queen size bed with full bathroom for ladies!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future

REVHARD25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Queen size bed with full bathroom for ladies!

true that...so what is a good small camper with these options???
Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #15
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
I'm kinda digging the pop-ups again. Small and priced right. This will be our first camper so maybe it's a better choice this year. Then upgrade to a hard side next year if we lime it. What are some pop-up options to keep in mind?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #16
roy826 will become famous soon enoughroy826 will become famous soon enough

roy826's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up a 2008 Coachmen Blast 150 (18' to the tongue 8' wide) saturday. It's a toy hauler style camper. Dry weight with options is 3893#. A little heavier than I wanted but they really don't get any lighter than this or smaller. It pulls okay. I have the tow package and prodigy brake controller with weight distribution hitch and sway controller. With my motorcycles and stuff I will be at 5500# plus minus couple a hundred I am guessing. Towing it home empty I got 9 mpg at 65~70 mph in 4th gear no over drive. I will slow the speed down o nmy trips but I was wanting to get home in a rush after getting it. I will post s pic up later. got a pretty good deal on it I think at $9500. It needed a battery of course.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard a lot of good reviews about Jayco. I personally have a Komfort
Old 04-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #18
tacodesperado is on a distinguished road
tacodesperado's Tacoma Gallery
2004 Gulf Stream Amerilite 21MB
Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #19

Cool

2008 21ft Starcraft Starstream 3700lbs dry. My girlfriend and I love it. Pretty sure they merged with Jayco now and build them in the same plant.
Attached Thumbnails
what kind of camper do you have?-lion-country-safari-59-.jpg  
Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 AM   #20
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
nice camper. gonna go look at some pop-ups over the next couple of days. should fit into the budget until some more money comes along.