Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

towing a enclosed trailer with a 4 cyl. auto

Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Front Runner is on a distinguished road
Front Runner's Tacoma Gallery
towing a enclosed trailer with a 4 cyl. auto

I'm thinking of buying a 6X12 enclosed cargo trailer to pull with my Taco. I've got the 2.7L with auto tranny w/o the tranny cooler. The trailer weighs 1200lbs empty and has a gvwr of 2900lbs. I'll be using it to haul my 750 pound bike and other stuff every so often. The dealer told me that they recommend the v-nose so the wind resistance wont be as bad. Is this true? I know from reading other posts that using overdrive is out of the question, and I welcome any comments or suggestions. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
I'm thinking of buying a 6X12 enclosed cargo trailer to pull with my Taco. I've got the 2.7L with auto tranny w/o the tranny cooler. The trailer weighs 1200lbs empty and has a gvwr of 2900lbs. I'll be using it to haul my 750 pound bike and other stuff every so often. The dealer told me that they recommend the v-nose so the wind resistance wont be as bad. Is this true? I know from reading other posts that using overdrive is out of the question, and I welcome any comments or suggestions. Thanks.
The v nose will help with wind resistance, read as a little better mileage, and alittle better acceleration under load, as well as having an easier time holding your speed on the highway.

However, a v nose will not have any bearing on your stopping ability, so you will definately need to purchase a trailer that is equipped with brakes and have installed or install a brake controller in your truck. As well as the 4-flat plug and play as well as 4-flat to 7 round adapter that are covered in the towing bible which is stickied at the top of this section.

Other than that, keep plenty of room in front of you for stopping, keep in mind that you can not accelerate into traffic as quickly as when running solo, and remember to swing your turns wide. Other than that enjoy your trailer.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
Persnaly I would get a tranny cool if it can be installed....
I am not sure if your track can have the done with ease or not..

Also when was the lasttime you lfush your fluids?
Brake, tranny, engine and collant? If has been a long time think about.

When pulling load change the fluid on the brakes once a year or more. this will help. Also have the rear brakes adjusted every 5k miles when towing..