Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

heavy load with wheel spacers

Old 05-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
heavy load with wheel spacers

i tow a 6000 lb boat on a very regular basis over the summer. the truck performs beautifully. it does as well as the 2002 V8 sequoia my parents drive, except the taco feels more stable while towing. so i know that the truck can tow great, but my question is...i want to put a set of spidertrax wheel spacers on it, but i'm worried that the extra length will put too much force on the ends of the axles when i'm towing such a heavy load. the last thing i want is for my wheels to break off when i'm towing a boat down the road at 70 mph. would wheel spacers compromise the trucks axles/other wheel related components, or compromise my safety?

i appreciate any input
Old 05-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
i tow a 6000 lb boat on a very regular basis over the summer. the truck performs beautifully. it does as well as the 2002 V8 sequoia my parents drive, except the taco feels more stable while towing. so i know that the truck can tow great, but my question is...i want to put a set of spidertrax wheel spacers on it, but i'm worried that the extra length will put too much force on the ends of the axles when i'm towing such a heavy load. the last thing i want is for my wheels to break off when i'm towing a boat down the road at 70 mph. would wheel spacers compromise the trucks axles/other wheel related components, or compromise my safety?

i appreciate any input
Yes they will. To what degree, I'm not sure. 6000 lbs. is pretty close to the max tow weight.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i don't know if such a thing exists, but does anyone know if there is a load rating for the spidertrax spacers.

if there isn't, does anyone who has them tow anything? if so, how do they perform in that scenario, and in general?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You should give Spidertrax a call and talk with with. Last I heard was that wheel spacers were for "show", not for hauling.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:54 PM   #5

good idea, i completely neglected the fact that all of these companies have customer service lines.

at this point, i think that there are better uses for my money, but i figure i might as well check, just in case.

thanks for all the advise.
much appreciated
Old 05-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The Sequoia is only rated to tow 6,000LBS max with the towing package. I know, there is one in my driveway next to may Taco. Taco with towing package tows 6,500LBS.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hui View Post
The Sequoia is only rated to tow 6,000LBS max with the towing package. I know, there is one in my driveway next to may Taco. Taco with towing package tows 6,500LBS.
yeah, i know the towing rateings for the vehicles themselves. i actually have a sequoia sitting next to my taco as well, my parents own it. i probably wasn't clear enough in my question....what i was wondering about is if the wheel spacers themselves had a weight rating. i kinda doubt that that kind of information exists though.