Notices

Overheating during towing

Old 05-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #21
jroach321 is on a distinguished road
jroach321's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

thanks for everything guys!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #22
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
If memory serves me it's about 2''x6''
Sounds like an oil cooler. Your tranny cooler is integrated into the radiator. You can see the tranny lines going into it near the bottom.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #23
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It just dawned on me that you said the boat was 4000 lbs. If you are going by the boat weight, that does not include fuel, trailer, or anything else in the boat. If this is the case, you could be well over 5000 lbs.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #24
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Sounds like an oil cooler. Your tranny cooler is integrated into the radiator. You can see the tranny lines going into it near the bottom.
Thanks Chris!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #25
AFBombdude is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Giving the enemy a chance to die for his country
AFBombdude's Tacoma Gallery
You could run an electric "pusher" fan on the front of the radiator. Turn it on/off manually before the hills.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #26
Front Runner is on a distinguished road
Front Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroach321 View Post
My 01 tacoma 4x4 3.4 is overheating on every hill when i pull my 4000lb boat. It does great on flat but overheats immediatly on hills. Overdrive is off and ect/power is on. I know its a bit much to tow but it shouldnt be overheating.
any suggestions besides the obvious tranny cooler
This may be a stupid question, but how do you know the tranny got hot also???
Old 06-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #27
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
This may be a stupid question, but how do you know the tranny got hot also???
You don't..... these trucks don't have any sort of tranny temp gauges.

However - If these toyota trucks are anything like the Jeep Grand Cherokee we used to own..... if you have any problems with the tranny itself (based on data the computer is reading from it) - the system will go into LIMP mode and prevent the transmission from destroying itself.

When I say LIMP Mode - I mean, it'll shift hard and/or strange - missing gears, etc. You might even get a CEL if it gets too bad.

But again, just a guess.... I would hope they are setup like this to prevent damage.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You don't..... these trucks don't have any sort of tranny temp gauges.

However - If these toyota trucks are anything like the Jeep Grand Cherokee we used to own..... if you have any problems with the tranny itself (based on data the computer is reading from it) - the system will go into LIMP mode and prevent the transmission from destroying itself.

When I say LIMP Mode - I mean, it'll shift hard and/or strange - missing gears, etc. You might even get a CEL if it gets too bad.

But again, just a guess.... I would hope they are setup like this to prevent damage.

Limp mode would be nice. I wonder what do we have on our trucks to prevent the tranny from destroying itself????
Old 06-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #29

The newer trucks with autos have a tranny temp light that will iluminate when the tranny starts to get hot. I cant remember at what temp it lights up.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #30
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The newer trucks with autos have a tranny temp light that will iluminate when the tranny starts to get hot. I cant remember at what temp it lights up.
Which reminds me.....<off topic> is Scangauge ever gonna come out with tranny temps?
Old 06-05-2008, 05:26 AM   #31
jroach321 is on a distinguished road
jroach321's Tacoma Gallery
I assumed the tranny was hot because i could not touch the metal part of the shifter.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #32
Quote:
When you say "newer", would that apply to my 06 also?
Old 06-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
When you say "newer", would that apply to my 06 also?
Yes. Not sure what year they started with the tranny dummy light, but 05's and up have it.