Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Overheating during towing

Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
jroach321 is on a distinguished road
jroach321's Tacoma Gallery
Question Overheating during towing

My 01 tacoma 4x4 3.4 is overheating on every hill when i pull my 4000lb boat. It does great on flat but overheats immediatly on hills. Overdrive is off and ect/power is on. I know its a bit much to tow but it shouldnt be overheating.
any suggestions besides the obvious tranny cooler
Old 05-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroach321 View Post
My 01 tacoma 4x4 3.4 is overheating on every hill when i pull my 4000lb boat. It does great on flat but overheats immediatly on hills. Overdrive is off and ect/power is on. I know its a bit much to tow but it shouldnt be overheating.
any suggestions besides the obvious tranny cooler
maverick491 is definitely the guy to talk to. I would read this over before you go asking questions, if you haven't already. He goes over a tone in there.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tow...ing-bible.html
Old 05-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting Chris4x4 on this too-but our towing capacity for 2001 V6 is 5000lbs so it's not the weight-maybe your cooling ststem needs attention.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like it could be your clutch fan. Are the fluids good? Thermostat good? What color is the fluid? Do you have a tranny cooler?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Thanks for the quick reply

it just seems strange that its only on hills. its like the tranny heats up almost instantly and causes the truck to overheat.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
fluid is at the right level and thermostat would cause spikes at other times other than just hills. Fan has resistance when turned off and clutch is not locked up. Coolant is green... I know i know it should be red. but do you think not running toyota coolant would do this?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
it just seems strange that its only on hills. its like the tranny heats up almost instantly and causes the truck to overheat.
That could be the case, as the tranny is not going to lock up into the lower gears. Have you towed the boat before without isses?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Think of it this way... You're towing capacity is 5,000lbs. You're towing 4,000lbs.

When you're driving uphill, that 4,000lbs is a lot heavier and takes a lot more effort. You lose momentum and need the additional power to get it up the hill. That is not uncommon for vehicles being expected to tow close to their rated limits.

When was the last time you checked your radiator fluid? Do you have enough in it? Is your overflow tank at the full mark? What is your fluid rated to? Are your fans working? When was the last time you had a radiator flush?

We had a 99 Grand Cherokee that we towed 6500lbs with to Tellico a couple times. Rated capacity is 6500lbs. Guess what? Every hill, the temp gauge went into the red and every downhill, it went back down again. Typical....but not alarming.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I would advise leaving the 'ect switch' in off position because IMO it being on prevents the torque converter from locking out at 52MPH like it would in normal mode and may cause tranny to overspin unneccesarily
Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #10

Im thinking that you need a tranny cooler. I dont think that your year had one.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
first time for boat pull. fluid is at correct level. And that a jeep thing! jk
Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I would advise leaving the 'ect switch' in off position because IMO it being on prevents the torque converter from locking out at 52MPH like it would in normal mode and may cause tranny to overspin unneccesarily
He said that he takes the tranny out of O.D., and I dont think that the tranny locks up in 3rd on that year of truck. But, good thinking.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Im thinking that you need a tranny cooler. I dont think that your year had one.
Where wuold it be located Chris...cause on mine I see a small rectanular one right in front of the AC cooler-is that for oil?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #14
i agree with the tranny cooler. i just thought it seemed like something else may be wrong. does toyota coolant make a difference?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #15

Quote:
first time for boat pull. fluid is at correct level. And that a jeep thing! jk
Ok then. Add a tranny cooler. Then try towing the boat at a slower speed. You may also want to do as Janster stated and have the cooling system flushed. Also add some "water wetter". It helps keep the engine cool.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Where wuold it be located Chris...cause on mine I see a small rectanular one right in front of the AC cooler-is that for oil?
How big is it?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #17

Quote:
does toyota coolant make a difference?
It shouldnt.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #18
Since the tranny did get hot, should i change the fluid now?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Since the tranny did get hot, should i change the fluid now?
Yes. Autos are REALLY sensitive to the heat. If you think you got it hot, change it.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
How big is it?
If memory serves me it's about 2''x6''