1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How do i calculate tongue weight?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by tellico, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    tellico

tellico [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 cyl
    Is there any way to calculate the tongue weight based upon the sag of the rear? As an example, if John Doe weights 200lbs, and he stands upon the trailer hitch causing the rear to sag 2 inches. Then, Jane Doe, who weighs 300lbs, stands upon the hitch and the rear sags 3 inches. Would Jack Sprat, who weights 400lbs, cause it to sag 4 inches? And, would a tongue weight of 350 lbs cause it to sag 3.5 inches?

2. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I don't think there is a direct correlation between distance of sag and weight.

Do you have a set weight you are trying to find out how far it will sag or trying to figure out what weight you have by measuring sag??

3. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    damn. it's been a long time for me. it's called "hooke's law". you take two known loads and deflections and calc the "spring constant"..then you can us that "k" to determine all sorts of stuff. i do remember is isnt linear like your example. you have any real #'s?

cant you use a bathroom scale like everyone else? :)

4. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    opps! just googled it. hooke's law only applies to linear springs..i guess it is linear like that.

5. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    tellico

tellico [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 cyl

Trying to figure out the tongue weight by measuring the sag.

6. Jun 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    tacomaprerunner

tacomaprerunner Dang liberals.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    1995 Ford F350 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel
    Jane Doe sounds like a real big woman.

7. Jun 7, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

That's what I guessed. There is probably some arcane math with some structures engineering that you would need to do. Get a cheap bathroom scale and a put your trailer tongue on that and call it close enuf.

Once you get a couple of loads on there you can create a comparison for your truck...LIke this time you got a 500lbs load and it drops so many inches, next time you put 480 and it drops a different amount. You can guessimate after a while- but with all the variables...a scale is the way to go!!!

8. Jun 7, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    clarkie152

clarkie152 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail
    LED light swap, TRD wheels, KO2s, C4Fab lo-pro
    it depends on the trailer. some trailers for some reason are lighter on the tounge than others. i can lift up my uncles dump run trailer when it is full, but i struggle with a buddy empty van trailer.

9. Jun 7, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    tellico

tellico [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 cyl
    The girls get better lookin' at closing time.

10. Jun 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    aficianado

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    back to bone stock.
    ok,. using your numbers..and trying to remember physics...beer is bad.

your 200 lbs person getting 2" of displacement gives you a spring constant of 17800N/m..
    taking the 3.5 displacement..you have a tongue weight of roughly 1582.42lbs. sounds like a big trailer!

are these real numbers? i think the data is bad, because you need to measure at the spring?

11. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    tellico

tellico [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 cyl
    The data is made up. I am looking for a graph that gives me sag versus tongue weight for a 2008 Tacoma Reg Cab 2.7 liter with Toyota dealer springs. Reason? I think my springs are bad because the sag is around 4 inches with a boat trailer, which with boat, weighs approximately 1500 pounds. Needless to say, the nose is pointed up.

12. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    It's easy. Just weigh your head and then weigh your head with someone holding your tounge. Subtract second number from the first and that's how much your tounge weighs.

13. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    I think you need to factor in age too. Seems the older things get, the more they sag.

14. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    Rear springs are not linear, so F=-kx will not work. As others have said get a scale, or stop thinking so hard and get tsb/aal/bags and don't worry about it again.

Products Discussed in

To Top