1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need full set-up for towing TT

Discussion in 'Towing' started by SpeedwayB, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Jun 9, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    SpeedwayB

SpeedwayB [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    I need some advice on where the best place to purchase a weight distribution hitch for my Taco. I have the towing option on my truck but at this point do not have a hitch yet. I am wanting to get a Straight-line hitch package with DC. I do not thing the straight-line packages that I am seeing come with everything I need to hook up TT to my Taco am I correct? Can I purchase everything in one kit which would also include ball, hitch shank, DC and distribution hitch? If so where is the least expensive place to do so?:)

2. Jun 9, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    If you do not have a hitch on your truck, it likely does not have the tow package. I would start by verifying that.
    Also, anything with a WD hitch, will likely require a brake controller, a charging circuit for starters, & trans cooler...

3. Jun 10, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    SpeedwayB

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    I'm set with the truck options, the question is still the best place to purchase a weight distribution hitch kit.

4. Jun 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    There's pros and cons to where you buy your set up.

A lot of places online are cheaper and sometimes offer free shipping. However you'll have to install it yourself, and figuring out the basics of where your WD bars go, can get kind of confusing. There's a great tutorial of this on www.rv.net

For online purchases, I would check out:
    www.rvwholesalers.com
    www.etrailer.com
    www.adventurerv.net
    www.rvsupplywarehouse.com

If you go somewhere local, it'll probably be more expensive, but they'll usually set it up for free.

5. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    So you already have the hitch....You need the WD drawbar / assembly....
    Uhaul usually has a good product at a good price. Just don`t try and get their "techs" to work on your rig.....

6. Jun 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    SpeedwayB

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    Thanks mjonags32 and Isthatahemi for the info. I probably am going to get my break controller first since it looks like these WD bars are kind of expensive. Thanks for the advice.

7. Jun 13, 2010 at 4:31 AM
    invisionz111

invisionz111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC BSP
    5100 Bilstein’s (.85) w/ Eibach Springs | ¼ inch Taco Lean Spacer | 2” Add A Leaf Springs | 5100 Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | 955 B MotoMetal Wheels | Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrain 285/75/17 | ToyTec Diff Drop | AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter | Tint | Westin Bull Bar | Raptor Side Steps | UWS Toolbox | Weathertech Floor Mats | Weathertech Side Vents |
    I just installed all of my towing components yesterday and picked up my Travel Trailer. I bought the Equalizer Package and the Tekonsha P3 brake controller. Everyone I spoke with raved over these two components. I haven't made a long trip yet as I still have to get my tow mirrors. I was trying to get by without them and did okay until I had to do some precision backing and couldn't see. I bought all of my stuff from www.rvwholesaler.com who had the best prices.

Good Luck to ya

Products Discussed in

To Top