1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at a new boat, boat place saying upgrade the truck. :-(

Discussion in 'Towing' started by tacomarock, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:03 AM
    tacomarock

tacomarock [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I want a Cobalt 242WSS, dry weight is 4,600lbs, the trailer another 1,600, the gas is 400 lbs. 6,600lbs without anything in the boat. sales guy saying I will easily hit 7,000 lbs. Anyone towing this much behind their Tacoma?

2. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Can be done but not safely. The weight limit for towing is rated at 6000lbs for the v6 I believe. Braking is the area where you would encounter most issues.

3. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:06 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    IIRC, the weight limit of our trucks with an O/R package is 6500lbs. Someone correct if I'm wrong. Might need a Tundra..

4. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Also, towing at the weight limit may not be very comfortable... I know a buddy of mine had an F-150 that could pull his boat, but it was a much safer and more pleasant experience when he upgraded to an F-250. If you're going to tow it often, it does sound like you need more towing power... And I'd personally go American on a full-size pickup :p

5. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    Jimmyjohn

Jimmyjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Big Sky Country Montana
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DLB CAB
    Smitty Blt Bull Bar& Skid Plate, PIAA 525SMR lights
    If I were you and really wanted the boat and can afford it I'd step to the Tundra for sure

6. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    IMO towing the boat probably wont be a problem(especially if the trailer has brakes) but pulling it out of the water might be.

7. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    ShaShasBoo

ShaShasBoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Lexington, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Prerunner
    Pulling out of the water will for sure give you issues.

8. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    x2 on the american fullsize

9. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Buy a tundra. Screw the american fullsize. My buddy has an '08 tundra 5.7 and he said it actually tows stronger and feels more solid towing than his '06 2500 HD duramax (w/ allison tranny) he had before. He says the only negative compared to the 2500 is that the tundra gets way worse gas mileage than the diesel did which is to be expected. He got rid of the duramax because it started falling apart (transmission problems, electronic problems, replaced alternator twice) the truck only had 40,000 miles on it. Only got half of what he paid for it when he traded it in.

As for the boat, How far is your haul to the lake? will you be towing it back and forth or keeping it in a slip?

10. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Also consider where you are towing...
    If you are climbing and descending mountains, you will definitely be putting yourself and others in an unsafe situation. If you live 3 miles from the lake and only need to tow it a couple times a year, you're probably OK with the Taco.

If I needed a bigger truck, I would look at the F150. Here is the towing specs:
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/

Nice boat too:
    [​IMG]

11. Jun 10, 2010 at 6:35 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    This is my boat that I tow w/ my Tacoma. Its a Four Winns 205 Sundowner. Its weight is about 5000lbs +/- and I would say you can really tell its back there. Towing this makes for a somewhat stressful drive. The 4.0 has the power to do it, but seems to be screaming the whole time and only getting 9 mpg. Towing this boat with my brothers 5.7 Tundra was easy, I barely noticed it. I would say anything more that 5-6k you need a bigger truck if you are going to be pulling long distances or often. GL w/ the boat.
    [​IMG]

12. Jun 10, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    tacomarock

Member:
    My family always had a boat. We went through at least 4 when I was growing up. We never towed them much-always had them stored at the lake on airlifts.
    I was hoping to find someone that is actually towing that much weight. I am most concerned getting the boat out of the water. Even with 4WD I think that boat could yank em back in if the ramps are slick. It would be short runs as I would store close to the lake here in SATX.

A friend of mine has a brand new Ford Platinum. He hates to tow with it. Said he should have got a Tundra. But only a few months after he about, even with huge down still would lose huge on the trade.

13. Jun 10, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    6500 is correct. I was looking at the owners manual page by page last night to study up on my new truck.

14. Jun 10, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    nastyblowpop

nastyblowpop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4x4 rugged trail
    speaking from experience in towing more than what my tacoma is supposed to tow, it is a stressful drive. getting up to speed isn't the issue at all, its the stopping that scares the shit outta me, even though my trailer has brakes. and also with that much weight if you dont have the tsb done you will be resting on your bumpstops in the rear like i do when i get up to about 6k+. i agree with getting a bigger truck.

15. Jun 10, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    My buddy's boat comes in at his vehicle's tow rating of 6500 lbs. He'll use his truck when moving the boat around town, but when he transports it on the highway to the marina he borrows my diesel F-250.

The boat's an investment, as is your Tacoma. Get yourself a tow vehicle that'll keep both of them from getting destroyed.

16. Jun 10, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    MAXTacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I have put my boat in a 3 different boat ramps in my area. I have never had to use 4x4 to get it out of the water. My boat has a pretty good tongue weight and the added weight of gear in the bed usually helps w/ traction. Also as another member stated having the rear TSB done or in my case an AAL is a def must. When I bought the boat about 3 months ago I didn't have the AAL or the TSB and had to drive about 3 hours home with it. The whole time on the way home my truck was on the bump stops and seemed very unstable. It made for a very stressful 3 hour trip, especially over 65mph. Now that I have the AAL the truck doesn't squat and handles the trailer so much better. I'd say either look for a boat the doesn't isn't as big or buy a bigger truck. GL

17. Jun 10, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

^Dis. Not much could be worse than damaging your boat, your truck, or both and turning a nice weekend somewhere into a nightmare of insurance BS or worse.

18. Jun 10, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    tacomarock

Member:
    I have learned Cars and Boats are just money pits. But you have to enjoy life, so they an investment in yourself, not in your bank account ;-)

My dad always called his boats money pits. Been wanting to get one for a while, but always working too much. I am a recovering workaholic. Not joking man, I can work till my eyes bleed - new place is way different. I work 40 hour weeks - compared to my last job 60-80 even better no longer on call!

the flipside is I have to do two annual projects that take anywhere from 30 -45 days of travel time. soo immma gonna enjoy this summer!

19. Jun 10, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    tacomarock

Member:
    wow, should that boat should be on a tandem trailer? I thought anything over 3,500 lbs you go tandem.

20. Jun 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    MAXTacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Yeah that was my thought exactly when I went to purchase it, but the trailer is a Four Winns matching trailer that came with the boat when it was new (97). I would have really liked it if it had the tandem axels. It makes for a much better handling, and easier to maneuver trailer. Before I looked at this one I saw the exact boat but 1 year newer and it also had the single axel. I'm not really sure why 4Winns did this.

Products Discussed in

To Top