Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Towing (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/)
-   -   trailer brake problem (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/149834-trailer-brake-problem.html)

taco1985 04-04-2011 05:52 PM

trailer brake problem
 
I posted this in technical help before I saw this group. I have a 2008 tacoma double cab. I am installing trailer brakes on my truck and bought the harness from the toyota dealer. I thought it would be as simple as plugging into the plug-in port by the driver kick panel and hooking up the brake controller module. Problem is I don't have power to the plug-in port. I tried putting fuses in the slots labeled "towing" and "trailer lights". I also tried putting in a circuit breaker in the slot for a breaker labeled "trailer lights". I never got power to the plug-in port. Any ideas? I called the toyota dealer but didn't get an answer.

Jerry Bear 04-04-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taco1985 (Post 2980011)
I posted this in technical help before I saw this group. I have a 2008 tacoma double cab. I am installing trailer brakes on my truck and bought the harness from the toyota dealer. I thought it would be as simple as plugging into the plug-in port by the driver kick panel and hooking up the brake controller module. Problem is I don't have power to the plug-in port. I tried putting fuses in the slots labeled "towing" and "trailer lights". I also tried putting in a circuit breaker in the slot for a breaker labeled "trailer lights". I never got power to the plug-in port. Any ideas? I called the toyota dealer but didn't get an answer.

You need to put a 30 Amp fuse in the TOWING BRK slot in the fusebox under the hood. That's all you need to do for the brake controller.

The other towing fuse and relay sockets are for the OEM trailer light wiring, which you must not have, or they would already be loaded.

taco1985 04-04-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bear (Post 2980261)
You need to put a 30 Amp fuse in the TOWING BRK slot in the fusebox under the hood. That's all you need to do for the brake controller.

The other towing fuse and relay sockets are for the OEM trailer light wiring, which you must not have, or they would already be loaded.


I did this without any result. I noticed on another thread's sticky that I may not have the tow packaged equipped truck. According to that poster the non equipped trucks would have come with the plug in harness above the kick panel also. I think this is stupid on Toyota's part if you have to completly hard wire everything anyway.

Jerry Bear 04-04-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taco1985 (Post 2980842)
I did this without any result. I noticed on another thread's sticky that I may not have the tow packaged equipped truck. According to that poster the non equipped trucks would have come with the plug in harness above the kick panel also. I think this is stupid on Toyota's part if you have to completly hard wire everything anyway.

I believe that you are right. They may not have fully wired the Towing Brake Converter plug since your truck doesn't have the towing package.

These are the pin numbers, wire colors, and uses for the Towing Brake Converter plug on a 2010:
1. Blue, Brake output to trailer
2. Black, Unswitched +12 Volts
3. White/Black, Ground
4. Blue, Brake input from truck
5. Green, Taillight input from truck

See what wires are there, and if they have the right signal on them.

Let us know what wires/signals are missing and we may be able to tell you the best place to tap into them.

What do you have at the rear of the truck for the trailer to plug into?

Sorry that it didn't work.:(


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:02 PM.