1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gen 1 Brake Controler

Discussion in 'Towing' started by BBJ285, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Jul 9, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    BBJ285

BBJ285 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Scurry, TX
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner
    SnugTop cap, "SuperSpring" helperspring, flowmaster muff,K&N CAI, CB, small amp & 2 6x9s in the bed on a toggles switch for nights at the drive-in...
    Has anyone installed one...or have any pics?

2. Jul 11, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    anvilmanco

anvilmanco Active Member

Member:
    Aurora, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport -Stock
    I don't know if this fits here, or not, but I just figured out how to wire up my older PRODIGY Brake controller to my 2007 Tacoma TRD Sport, using the Toyota supplied Pigtail and the Pigtail from the PRODIGY. I wrote to Tekonsha and this is what they said:

Today, I heard back from their Technical Service Coordinator and he finalized what I had come to believe.The Green is not needed.

Here's what they said:

TOYOTA HARNESS****************PRODIGY HARNESS ********FUNCTION
    Black w/ Red Tracer --------------------- BLACK ------------------------ 12 Volt
    Green ---------------------------------------------N/A ----------------------------Illumination ( wonder if I could use this lead for some LED's somewhere hmmmmmmmm )
    Green w/ White Tracer ----------------------RED ---------------------------Stoplight
    BROWN ----------------------------------------White ----------------------------Ground
    RED ----------------------------------------------Blue --------------------------Trailer Brakes

So, that's the way I'll do it, and I've seen plenty of ideas of where to install it. I'm going to use the Pocket Bracket that came with the controller so I can remove it when not towing. It was difficult to remove the way it was installed using the permanent bracket on the Tahoe.

Hope this helps someone.

EKW / TRDBIRD

3. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    BBJ285

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Scurry, TX
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner
    SnugTop cap, "SuperSpring" helperspring, flowmaster muff,K&N CAI, CB, small amp & 2 6x9s in the bed on a toggles switch for nights at the drive-in...
    The 2007 is a Gen 2(2005-current), the Gen 1(95 1/2-2004) does NOT have a pig tail...that's why I would like to know if anyone has done one.

4. Jul 24, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    chopperbbt

chopperbbt New Member

Member:
    I know i am no help but i have a 2003 and have all supplies but i have been UNABLE to locate the wire coming from the brake to use..... This is about to get the best of me. If you have taken care of yours i will love to hear some pointers.

5. Jul 25, 2011 at 5:48 AM
    BBJ285

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Scurry, TX
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner
    I haven't done this yet. I did find this link on etrailer that give what harness to order...
    http://www.etrailer.com/bc-2003_Toyota_Tacoma.htm

I will probably get this and take it to a RV dealer, or let the guys here at the dealership do it.

6. Jul 25, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    anvilmanco

anvilmanco Active Member

Member:
    Aurora, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport -Stock
    Sorry I can't help with your Gen 1 problem, but I did want to follow up on my installation. I finally took the door sill cover off (got my fingers under it and it popped up), then the Emergency Brake foot rest (same way), then removed the one Knob holding the Kick Panel in place, then pulled the Kick panel out and off it's pop in points.
    Then, after a lot of "feeling around in there", I finally found the Pigtail. From there on, it was a piece of cake. Plugged the Toyota Pigtail in (I had connected the wires as above, by soldering, heat shrinking over) then mounted the Prodigy to the Dash right under the Cubby on the left. I used the Pocket bracket that came with the Prodigy.
    I've only banged into it a few times but I liked the placement anyway. Everything works great and I've towed the Trailer all the way to San Diego without a problem.

Everything I took off went back just fine so everything looks brand new.

Thanks for all your help.

EKW

7. Oct 3, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    i would also like to know what i need to do to get a brake controller installed on my 2000 tacoma. no pig-tail from the factory so it has to be manually wired in. i've been reading all about it for the past week and i'm still confused. i really do not want to spend $350 on installation though if at all possible.

any love for the first gen's??

Products Discussed in

To Top