1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tekonsha P3 Install.

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Mongrel, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    Mongrel

Mongrel [OP] Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    I have just picked up a brake controller to install on my 2009 TRD Sport. I thought I'd throw a question out to the experts rather than guess.
    I finally found the plug to connect my Toyota harness to (the actual Tekonsha harness for our vehicles, not the Toyota pigtail that came with the truck) and everything is in good shape. The problem I'm having is were to connect the white ground wire to. I currently have it attached to the screw that holds the kick panel bracket on but I'm not too happy with it there. It is metal but I think there is probably a better spot.
    Is anyone able to suggest a better place to mount the ground wire?

Many thanks in advance.

T

2. Jul 27, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    08TRDOFFROAD

08TRDOFFROAD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    21' Tundra Platinum & 08' TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's w/front's set at 1.75", TRD exhaust, Colormatched grill, Illuminated 4wd selector switch, BAMF Bolt on Sliders w/kickout.
    I actually just wired up my new P3, but I used the factory pigtail that came with the truck. It shows a trailer ground (I belive it is the brown wire) on the factory pig tail. That is what I connected the white wire to. My controller seems to be working fine. I did read in the prodigy manual that is says not to connect the ground wire under the dash, that is should be run right to the negative terminal on the battery to prevent malfunction. It wouldn't be very hard to spice a wire on and run it all the way to the neg battery terminal.

3. Jul 29, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md
    Anywhere with good metal contact will be fine. here is where I ground my P2. I have had no weak ground issues

P3Install_Taco_010_259790834c6a0a9a24162f85d2a113055d41660d.jpg

4. Aug 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    Mongrel

Mongrel [OP] Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    I appreciate the replies, fellas. I think it should be fine where it currently sits.

T

Products Discussed in

To Top