1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4cyl towing with camper top

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Thomast, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Aug 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    Thomast

Thomast [OP] Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    i had a 87 taco for many years and it used it to tow my fishing boats (dory and rafts) without any difficulty. I sold it a few years back when I inherited a jeep from a deceased relative but am over that p.o.s. (the jeep, not the relative) and want to go back to a Tacoma. I know that the 4 cyl 4x4 extended cab will handle my towing needs, however I also want to put about 800 lbs of camper top and gear in it's bed while towing about 1500 lbs of rafting gear/ boat/ beer (better make that 2000lbs with the added beer :) ) etc. I don't drive like a bat out of hell, so going at a max of 55-65 while carrying / pulling this load is fine with me.

is this too much total weight for the 4 cyl? I will only need this total pulling /hauling capacity about 4 months of the year while I am guiding (fly fishing) the rest of the time I need the fuel efficiency of the 4 cyl over the 6cyl to get back and forth to work and the ski areas.

Thanks,

2. Aug 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    TroutBum

TroutBum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 AC 4x4 Sold, 17 Sport 6MT DCSB, 2020 OR DCSB
    Leer 100R
    I tow a drift boat with mine - no problems. My bigger boat gives it more of a work out. You'll probably need to go with an AAL for the weight you're talking about carrying. Not sure how the 4cyl will do towing in the mountains...

Mike

3. Aug 8, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    You will most likely be over the payload of around 1,300lbs.
    That includes: the camper (800lbs), the tongue weight of the boat (200lbs+), gas (> 100lbs), you (???lbs), any other passenger (???), any other gear (???) .....
    So how much is:
    800 + 200 + 100 + ??? + ??? + ???
    Is it more than 1,300lbs?

4. Aug 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    Thomast

Thomast [OP] Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I quess that when I think of payload, I think only of what is in the bed of the truck, not the gas in the tank and weight of the people. My mistake, Sounds like I will need a 6 Cylinder and try to squeeze as many mpgs out of it as possible. Thanks

5. Aug 8, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Actually, that would not help much, as the payload of the 6 cylinder is not higher. You need a bigger truck. 3/4 ton probably. Something with a higher payload. Even a Tundra would be too small most likely.
    Payload = GVWR - curb weight, so anything added takes away from the payload, including the people.

Products Discussed in

To Top