1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Here we go

Discussion in 'Towing' started by kerns 2495, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:52 AM
    kerns 2495

kerns 2495 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    va
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl. cab 4x4
    2" body lift, 2.5 " coil over with rear blocks
    Toyota says no way to flat tow my 2001 auto 4x4 taco. I have researched many threads , It seems no one has ever tried. I am setting up my taco to remove rear drive shaft, kick the tranfer case in neutral and roll on. Somebody needs to set the record straight, too much confusion from Toyota and consumers.

2. Jun 4, 2012 at 4:41 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    subbing for results....not holding breath for unanimous consensus.

3. Jun 4, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    You are perfectly fine to flat tow with the driveshaft removed. In this case, transfer case position is irrelevant since it will be stationary. You must not flat tow with the driveshaft installed. If the transfer case is in neutral, the transfer case will not be lubricated since the oil pump is on the input shaft. With the transmission in neutral, the transmission will not be lubricated, again, oil pump on input shaft.

4. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    kerns 2495

kerns 2495 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    va
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl. cab 4x4
    your saying remove rear shaft and tow. not to even set transfer case to neutral?

5. Jun 5, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Why would you want to put the xfer case in neutral if there is no driveshaft?

6. Jun 5, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    kerns 2495

kerns 2495 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    va
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl. cab 4x4
    I would think with the front wheels turning there would be something working in the transfer case. That is why I assumed I need to set the transfer case to neutral, so that I eliminate the possiblity of transmission problems, transfer case to neutral means automatic transmission is out of equation.

7. Jun 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Not unless your front hubs are BOTH BROKEN.
    Leave your transmission in PARK and you know it cant be spinning.
    And unless your transfer case is in 4wd, you know that the front is disconnected anyway.

How about this;
    tranny in park, engine off, key clicked one turn to unlock steering, shift xfer case into 4h, then disconnect driveshaft. I guarantee that sucker will roll like that, and you can be absolutely certain that no part of tranny or xfer case is moving.

8. Jun 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    kerns 2495

kerns 2495 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    va
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl. cab 4x4
    knucklehead, setting my xfer case in 4 h sounds like i am engaging parts of the drive train not necesarry. why not neutral? you say 4h. I am rolling in one week. I am going to be a pioneer in this saga. long live kerns 2495

9. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Read my lips: no driveshaft installed = transmission and transfer case parts are STATIONARY. Locking everything up to park GUARANTEES that there is NOT ONE SINGLE PART in the transfer case or transmission that is moving. IF there were any moving parts in it, those moving parts would NOT BE LUBRICATED = explode.

10. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:41 AM
    knucklehead

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    :mad:
    He has a FIRST GEN. It has unlocking hubs. Driveshaft disconnected, hubs disconnected, xfer case in 4h, and tranny in park means that nothing is moving that must not be moving.

11. Jun 6, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    1C271

1C271 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Off Road

Why do people ask questions, get an absolutely correct explanation from someone, good job knucklehead yes you are right, and STILL keep doubting them. It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about Kerns which is why you are asking. If you are in doubt, go buy a flatbed car hauler for $2400 and be done with it. LMAO

12. Jun 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    kerns 2495

kerns 2495 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    va
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl. cab 4x4
    People ask questions because things are important. Remco says no way this truck is towable. but others say differently. My truck has auto hubs, not sure what knucklehead ment about unlocking hubs. If this truck was so easily towed why would the biggest towing parts supplier say no. answer that. I am really just looking for someone who has actually tried , I do however appriecate knuckleheads advise. you don't have to talk about how to convince me over and over again. I am about to tear up my truck ,perhaps, but I am determined to set the record straight. even if it cost me .

13. Jun 7, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Maybe someone who has actually done this successfully will post up verifying or rebutting what has been posted so far, maybe not.

14. Jun 8, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    kerns 2495

kerns 2495 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    va
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl. cab 4x4
    I think remove rear shaft, trans in park, xfer case in 2H , key turned one click for steering. THAT SOUNDS RIGHT.
    Whats wrong with that? My concern is that something is still not being lubed in the xfer case. But I am just not sure.

15. Jun 8, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Hence my post about someone who has actually done this without damage posting up. You'd think the transfer case would be OK since the tires roll and the front driveshaft spins all the time when drivng down the road in 2wd. And taking the driveshaft off should make the tranny safe and the rear end should be OK since there is no fluid pump in the differential and the gears/axle bearings will be lubed the same way as any other time the truck is moving. My question would then be......What would you do with the disconnected driveshaft? Leave it in the tranny so the fluid doesn't come out the tail end of it and strap the rear of it up to the frame? Rubber banding a thick ziplock baggie over it comes to mind but doesn't seem to be good idea for a long trip and a potential mess when you want to take it off and put driveshaft back in. Drain the transmission then refill on other end of trip? And is this 1 or 2 piece driveshaft?

16. Jun 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    kerns 2495

kerns 2495 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    va
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl. cab 4x4
    rear drive shaft is no problem. it is a two piece with a carrier bearing. I intend on removing the four bolts that connect it to the rear and then simply strapping it up with a bungy. fluid and debri are really not an issue. As far as front drive line , in 2H like I drive daily the front shaft does not spin. this is why I am wondering why knucklehead says to place xcase in 4H. I am almost certain that some parts will become mobile with that set-up. I ordered my tow bar this morning. should be in in one week , and then the world will know. Plan on taking a short drive , stopping repeatedly to feel for heat build-up. If none is found I will be setting my sites for a four hundred mile trip in late June.

Products Discussed in

To Top