1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Confused and a Newbie!

Discussion in 'Towing' started by motttocs, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Jun 14, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    motttocs

motttocs [OP] Active Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Hey guys, I picked up my Tacoma Dual Cab, 6 Cyl, 4X4, SR5, with the tow package yesterday. I do love this truck! Anyway my question is; I have a 21' Sea Hunt (boat) all in with motor and everything else around 4600 #'s. I have a Load-Rite trailer with a flat five pin connector and surge breaks. I'm not sure if I have to splice into the wiring for the breaks to work correctly in reverse. If so, anyone have step by step directions? Or, do I need a break controller everyone writes about? I've been searching but I really got confused. I do have the factory pigtail in the glove box, not really sure if I need it?

Thanks

2. Jun 14, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Welcome from GA. :cheers: Someone should come along with the answer you're looking for. :notsure:

3. Jun 14, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Welcome to Tacoma World... ^^what he said^^

Frank

4. Jun 15, 2012 at 5:25 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    In theory, there should be a 'reverse' signal on your 7 pin plug (truck side). A 7-->5 adapter, unfortunately, wont work for you, since a 5 pin plug is NOT intended for reverse lockout. A 5 pin plug contains the same 4 wires (ground, tail, left, right) plus an extra BLUE wire for electric (not surge) brakes.

If you are absolutely certain that you have surge brakes, you will want to cut off that 5 pin plug and connect a 7 pin, wiring the 5th pin on the trailer side to the 7th on the truck side (typically should be purple).

Now there are a couple of things you need to verify before you do anything.
    1) ensure that you do have surge brakes -- the coupler will have a slide mechanism and a fluid reservoir.
    2) ensure that it does, in fact, have a reverse lockout solenoid,
    3) verify the reverse signal on the truck side.

If the truck doesnt have that reverse signal, you will need to run a wire (fused) from the main distribution panel under the hood, to the tail light of the truck, and use a relay from the reverse lights to switch that new line from the panel. You can NOT run a reverse lockout solenoid straight off the reverse light, trust me, I tried. It will blow out the circuit.

Now if the thing doesnt have a reverse lockout solenoid, but rather a mechanical lockout, you can use a 7 to 4 adapter and ignore the 5th pin. If it actually has electric brakes, you will need to buy a brake controller and a 7 to 5 adapter.

Products Discussed in

To Top