1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is this safe? Towing Gurus needed

Discussion in 'Towing' started by The Traveler, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Jul 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler [OP] Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Hey there guys, I posted another thread in this section a few weeks back, but now the conditions have changed a bit.

Spark notes: First time towing anything in my life. Need to tow a dual ski trailer and 2 waverunners about 500 miles round trip, with some incline/declines (LA to Vegas). Truck has non-TSB springs. No brake controller. Bestop Supertop installed. Truck sits with a bro-lean right now, due to no lift in the rear. Planning a Dakar leaf pack, but I just don't have the money for it right now. Truck has 33"s all around.

Now I'm being told that I'll be carrying most of the cargo for our 30 person/3 day camping trip. This includes 4 passengers riding in the cab, duffle bags, coolers, tents, chairs, wood, ice, beer, food and drinks, the whole 9 yards. I'm guessing the bed will be full to the top of my Bestop. I have a Yakima Cargo rack on top of OEM roof rails that will have wakeboards strapped to it + some light stuff.

The combined weight of everything will likely be close to 5500lbs give or take.

Am I screwed with the non-TSB springs? Should I go with an AAL for this trip from Toytec?

Thanks in advance. I'm a bit nervous about all this abuse on the Taco.

2. Jul 30, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    the truck should be able to tow that no problem. i think you may be at 5500 MAX. 2 skis dont weigh too much. the only thing is most of your weight is in the cab so you will probably be riding on your bump stops

3. Jul 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    Get some leaf packs and you will be fine. Your power and mpgs are gonna suck but thats the way it is.

4. Jul 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    Cowboyz

Cowboyz Membor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Southern Utah/Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    6in Pro Comp stage 2 lift, 2.75in ProComp Coilovers, Rear MX6 adjustable shocks, 35in Nittro Trail Grapplers, 17 in XD Spys, URD intake, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster 40 Series, AMP Power steps, debadged, blacked out tail lights, Blacked out headlights w/ Mini H1 Retros and halos, JVC KW-AVX840 7" Double-Din, Viper 5704 2way alarm/remote start, LEDs in Dome, Maps, and license plate lights, short black antenna, 5% Tint, removed sway bar
    I would get the Toytec's AAL if it was me. Especially if your already running a bro lean. And i towed 2 skies and was about 2500lbs with trailer and full of gas with extra gas cans.

5. Jul 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the responses. I want to get the Dakars but I can't afford them just yet.

Riding on bump stops for 500 miles sounds like a bad idea. Should I go with Toytec's AAL for now? Their relatively inexpensive.

6. Jul 30, 2012 at 3:42 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Yeah AAL will work well.

7. Jul 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Ok great. Thanks for the responses. I hope I can have them delivered before the trip (Aug 10th). I've never ordered from Toytec before.

8. Jul 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Wheelers off road is out of grants pass oregon, if that's any closer? Might check with vendors in Cali too.

9. Jul 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Will check both. Thanks again Max.

10. Jul 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    You should be fine (the truck can handle it), but if you have 30 people going on this trip, and you are taking most of the luggage, I suggest you just tell the organizers that you will not be able to take any passengers in the back seats. After all it is your truck and you do not want to break it trying to be the nice guy. Between 30 people there should be enough vehicles that you do not have be responsible for all that.

I have tried to be nice and transported a pallet load of catalogues for a friend - well it ended up weighing more than the truck is supposed to handle, but I already committed to do it and was uncomfortable telling her that I don't want to do it anymore. I ran 150 miles on my bump stops, and although there is no visible damage, I regret it.

11. Jul 30, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Great point, and trust me I have no problem telling them no. After all, they're close family members ;)

I'll be carrying the luggage of the passengers riding my truck. So 5 duffle bags at the most, which will probably be on the roof rack under a net.

Since I'm the first and ONLY person in my entire lineage/extended family who owns a truck (because BMW or Merecedes doesn't make them here), I'll be taking all the bulky/large items like the coolers and propane tanks.

I have good judgement, so after installing the AAL and loading up the truck, I'll determine if somebody else needs to drive their 3 series full of food and stuff. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top