Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Towing (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/)
-   -   2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 6,400 lbs towing capacity? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/259281-2013-toyota-tacoma-4x4-v6-6-400-lbs-towing-capacity.html)

sunflower2013 01-21-2013 12:14 PM

2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 6,400 lbs towing capacity?
 
We are looking at buying a 2013 Taco 4x4 V6 because it is listing a 6,400 lb towing capacity. When I read reviews online I hear that we should spend our money on a larger truck for stability. The trailer we are looking at towing is around 3800 lbs empty so we're thinking it won't be over 5,000 lbs.

Is there anyone that would highly recommend the 4x4 V6 for towing safely across country, hills, mountains, etc?

Juggernaut 01-21-2013 12:18 PM

Should be fine, make sure your truck has the tow package, and welcome to TW.

TexAggie 01-21-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggernaut (Post 6311483)
Should be fine, make sure your truck has the tow package, and welcome to TW.

X2 towing package and you'll be good to go.

PB65stang 01-21-2013 12:22 PM

If the truck's primary duty was towing long distances, I'd go full-size, but that's me. Your weight will be within the limits, but you'll definitely feel the weight behind it. Your gas mileage will be horrendous and I do think you will get blown around. IMO, these trucks are good for light and occasional tow duty, but you might get by OK with a trailer that size.

That being said, if you do get a Tacoma, definitely put a brake controller on it. That will help a lot.

mick478 01-21-2013 12:22 PM

+ weight distributing hitch, towing bible is a sticky under tutorials, read it!!! It has some valuable info

mick478 01-21-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PB65stang (Post 6311509)
If the truck's primary duty was towing long distances, I'd go full-size, but that's me. Your weight will be within the limits, but you'll definitely feel the weight behind it. Your gas mileage will be horrendous and I do think you will get blown around. IMO, these trucks are good for light and occasional tow duty, but you might get by OK with a trailer that size.

That being said, if you do get a Tacoma, definitely put a brake controller on it. That will help a lot.

X2!!!

My mileage is around 11-13 when I tow my enclosed 6x12 v-nose, loaded its around 3000-3500 lbs, however it tows like a dream, i dont get blown around at all, btw I tow it without brakes on my trailer, I know I need to install em, but getting along fine w/out for now

Rich1790 01-21-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick478 (Post 6311533)
X2!!!

My mileage is around 11-13 when I tow my enclosed 6x12 v-nose, loaded its around 3000-3500 lbs, however it tows like a dream, i dont get blown around at all, btw I tow it without brakes on my trailer, I know I need to install em, but getting along fine w/out for now

Same here, never been blown around and I towed a little over 5k lbs (including trailer) from NJ to FL, no issues and it was my first time towing anything. Gas mileage does get pretty bad. If you plan on towing heavy loads a lot I would get a full size. I rarely tow anything and don't need a huge truck.

TexAggie 01-21-2013 12:59 PM

You can also get a 5.7l tundra right now for about the same price as a taco. Just a thought.

Dccustoms6 04-20-2013 10:42 AM

Tacoma towing
 
I bought a 13 tacoma quad cab with the tow package in jan 13. I tow a 5000lb camper. First trip was ny to mass. I have a weight distribution hitch. Get 9mpg on the hills, and about 11 highway driving at 65-70. Tows well. Anything more than 5000 i would buy a tundra with the 5.7.

taco206 04-20-2013 01:50 PM

Pushing it for cross country and big hills. I assume you're looking at a travel trailer. Most difficult thing to tow. Not only because they are so tall, long and top heavy. But they usually have small wheels. Like 13 and 14 inch. Which isnt a good combo when the wind starts pushing it around and that gets transferred to you in the truck. Completely different feeling if you were for example towing a 10k gvw flat bed trailer with a low slung car on top of it. It may equal out to the same weight (or more even) but you have the weight low and more compact and you are rolling on 225-75-15 inch tires which are pretty meaty compared to travel trailer tires.

A couple Sundays ago I was hauling back a new (old) tractor from Boise to Seattle using said 10k gvw trailer with my dads 2005 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab. Probably 6500 pounds trailer weight and thats a 7000 pound truck. It was very windy and stormy in Oregon and the Blue mountains, I was really feeling being pushed around (and this is just with a tractor, not a giant box). Then it would get alot better and then another strong gust hits. I couldnt imagine towing a big tall travel trailer in those kinds of conditions using a compact truck.

For cross country towing, hills, mountains look into a bigger truck.

jeffwesley 04-30-2013 09:59 PM

Tow question
 
I've got a 2012 quad 6 cylinder. It is not a tow package. I added a hitch and will be adding brake controller. I have a couple of questions. First, what does the tow package have that the other doesn't? I am looking at a 19 ft. toy hauler that has a wt. of 5300 lbs. dry. Loaded will probably around 6500 lbs.
I'm looking for comments from anyone who has experience with this type set up, as well as any opinion as to if it would be worth the investment in the trailer.

Gregman 05-01-2013 08:35 AM

You'll be fine with a Tacoma.
Most people will likely tow their campers ~5000 miles throughout the life of their truck and drive around empty for the other 195,000 miles.

bdemick 06-02-2013 01:07 PM

I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Short Bed, automatic V6 with Tow Package and with two adults I tow a Keystone Passport 2650BH 26ft travel trailer. The trailer weighs 4960lbs unloaded and between 5600 & 5800 lbs loaded. I use an Equal-I-zer Brand 4 point weight distribution hitch with built in sway control and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. While this is quite a load for the Tacoma at no time does it feel unsafe, sway or bounce. I tow in 4th gear and at 60 mph I'm turning 2500 rpm. At inclines I drop into 3rd gear and turn 3500 rpm. My fuel mileage takes a big hit and I get between 10.5 and 11.75 mpg depending on inclines and road conditions. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size, but it does an OK job. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry! The Tacoma is a beast!
Attached Thumbnails http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...r-taco-148.jpg

ttubb 06-03-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffwesley (Post 6823533)
I've got a 2012 quad 6 cylinder. It is not a tow package. I added a hitch and will be adding brake controller. I have a couple of questions. First, what does the tow package have that the other doesn't? I am looking at a 19 ft. toy hauler that has a wt. of 5300 lbs. dry. Loaded will probably around 6500 lbs.
I'm looking for comments from anyone who has experience with this type set up, as well as any opinion as to if it would be worth the investment in the trailer.

For sure install the transmission cooler. The non-tow package coolers is just a loop in the radiator. The tow package has a stand alone cooler. I have a scan gauge and I can read trans temps and for sure you want a cooler. Also use an equalizer hitch with this rig. T

CampGuy 06-20-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdemick (Post 6972974)
I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Short Bed, automatic V6 with Tow Package and with two adults I tow a Keystone Passport 2650BH 26ft travel trailer. The trailer weighs 4960lbs unloaded and between 5600 & 5800 lbs loaded. I use an Equal-I-zer Brand 4 point weight distribution hitch with built in sway control and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. While this is quite a load for the Tacoma at no time does it feel unsafe, sway or bounce. I tow in 4th gear and at 60 mph I'm turning 2500 rpm. At inclines I drop into 3rd gear and turn 3500 rpm. My fuel mileage takes a big hit and I get between 10.5 and 11.75 mpg depending on inclines and road conditions. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size, but it does an OK job. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry! The Tacoma is a beast!
Attached Thumbnails http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...r-taco-148.jpg

Wow, man!
It's very impressive.. I hope it's not going to were-out the vehicle..

bdemick 06-21-2013 05:18 PM

The Tacoma doesn't feel stressed at all. It brakes with ease, accelerates nicely, and I don't let the transmission hunt between gears at all. There are a few times I wish I had a bit more power and I watch my weight, taking with me only what's nessesary. All in all pretty good performance for a truck this size hauling this much of a load. :)

campthewestcoast 06-21-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunflower2013 (Post 6311466)
We are looking at buying a 2013 Taco 4x4 V6 because it is listing a 6,400 lb towing capacity. When I read reviews online I hear that we should spend our money on a larger truck for stability. The trailer we are looking at towing is around 3800 lbs empty so we're thinking it won't be over 5,000 lbs.

Is there anyone that would highly recommend the 4x4 V6 for towing safely across country, hills, mountains, etc?

Look at Hi-lo Towlite 3800lbs 22ft long I get 14mpg! Pictures of my rig in my gallery. Hydralics rise the top section when I get to the campsite. No problem towing this rig.

bdemick 06-22-2013 11:26 AM

I love the Tacoma for everyday travel & use and tow with it 6 or 7 times a year. Is it the ideal tow vehicle for a large travel trailer? No, but it does a good job and I would hate to move up to a full size pickup to drive around the 345 days a year that I'm not towing.

I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Short Bed, automatic V6 with Tow Package and with two adults I tow a Keystone Passport 2650BH 26ft travel trailer. The trailer weighs 4960lbs unloaded and between 5600 & 5800 lbs loaded. I use an Equal-I-zer Brand 4 point weight distribution hitch with built in sway control and a Prodigy P2 brake controller. While this is quite a load for the Tacoma at no time does it feel unsafe, sway or bounce. I tow in 4th gear and at 60 mph I'm turning 2500 rpm. At inclines I drop into 3rd gear and turn 3500 rpm. My fuel mileage takes a big hit and I get between 10.5 and 12 mpg depending on inclines and road conditions. Not the ideal tow vehicle for a trailer this size, but it does an OK job. Just take your time and don't be in a hurry! The Tacoma is a beast!
Attached Thumbnails http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...r-taco-148.jpg

By the way, the Passport Trailer has a spread-axel design where the front axel is 10" further forward than most other trailers to better distribute weight and control sway. There are times when I would like a bit more power, but than again I have passed full size pickups on inclines towing trailers much smaller than mine.
When I retire in a couple years I just might move up to a full size because I will be towing the trailer much more often.
I did notice that Toyota lowered the towing capacity on the new Tacomas from 6500 to 6400 lbs; only 100 lbs, but makes me wonder why.

jeffwesley 06-23-2013 07:29 PM

This week I purchased a 25RL Avenger with a dry wt. of 4951 lbs. I am pulling it with a 2012 TSS double cab without a tow package. I do plan to install a transmission cooler and maybe an oil cooler. After buying the TT I towed it from the dealership to a campground about 5 miles away. While the Tacoma seemed to have plenty of power and the transmission wasn't hunting, the stability at 55 MPH on the interstate was frightening. The next morning the guy camping next to me helped adjust the wt. distribution tow hitch before I made the 1 1/2 hr. trip home. With the fix I was able to comfortably travel at 65 without feeling the serious sway that I experienced the day before. While I acknowledge that a full size pickup is better suited to towing a travel trailer, I feel like the taco meets the challenge. Of course, I live in S, Louisiana where our topography is mostly flat. I'm not sure what my opinion will be when we take our first trip to the mountains.

BTW: that 75 mile trip home used about a half tank of fuel.

Shaggs 06-23-2013 10:57 PM

For towing long distances I would say a diesel or ecoboost ford. I tow a 4500lb Centurion every week, and with gear and combined 60 gallons of fuel plus pasengers, its nice and heavy. Using a TRD 4x4 DCLB with tow package. Tugs it along well, but gets horrible mileage, like 150/tank

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...92475338_n.jpg


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29 PM.