1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing my Tacoma

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Chuckychief, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Feb 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    Chuckychief

Chuckychief [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4
    Hello all. New to the forum with a question. I have an '04 Tacoma double cab,4x4. Can I tow it behind my motor home? Issues? Problems? Just what do I have to do?
    Thanks

2. Feb 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    lowinhz

lowinhz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Kurt
    Dandridge Tn
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB 4x4 v6
    Billies@ 2.5, 2inch blocks, front hitch, xrc 8k winch on portable mount, 10 sub behind seat, Memphis amp, pioneer touch radio, cobra cb, 235/85/r16 duratracs with black rims, high lift jack, tint, remote start alarm, hella 500 lights, 59" curve led bar, snorkel, expo trailer with rat, car seat
    No you cannot flat tow your tacoma will cause issues. You can get a dolly and disconnect the driveshaft or get a full trailer.

3. Feb 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    dougmatson

dougmatson Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    13' DBL Cab 4X4 TRD Sport
    TRD Cat Back exhaust TRD cold air intake
    I was told by Remco that a driveshaft disconnect was all I needed. Pull the disconnect put the tranny in park. Remco is the company that specializes in theses.

4. Feb 5, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    lowinhz

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Kurt
    Dandridge Tn
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB 4x4 v6
    Billies@ 2.5, 2inch blocks, front hitch, xrc 8k winch on portable mount, 10 sub behind seat, Memphis amp, pioneer touch radio, cobra cb, 235/85/r16 duratracs with black rims, high lift jack, tint, remote start alarm, hella 500 lights, 59" curve led bar, snorkel, expo trailer with rat, car seat
    Yes for a 2x4 that remco product is fine the trouble comes where yours is a 4x4. If you get a dolly and the remco coupling that would work but the problem of the front wheels spinning has to be solved ie the dolly

5. Feb 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    dougmatson

dougmatson Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    If the hubs are not locked why would it matter? I towed my 89' 4runner with the manual tranny in neutral, front hubs unlocked with no problems, over 35k miles worth of towing.

6. Feb 6, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    lowinhz

Member:
    First Name:
    Papa Kurt
    Dandridge Tn
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB 4x4 v6
    I think the 04 does not have manual hubs. That would work for a manual hub tacoma but one with auto hubs it will not.

7. Feb 6, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    Chuckychief

Chuckychief [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks to all who responded. Doug, can you tell me anymore of your experience towing? I contacted Remco and they no longer make the part, but gave me a number of someone else who does. Will call them today. How does it work? Can you disconnect and reconnect yourself?
    ANY info you can give me will be more than I have now. Thanks in advance.
    Chuck

8. Feb 6, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    dougmatson

dougmatson Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    If your talking about the driveshaft disconnect thats weird because I spoke to them about a month ago for the driveshaft disconnect for my 13' and they said they could ship me one around $800. You can go to their site and see how they work. I think I would switch to manual hubs before going to a dolly they are a pain. Another idea is to install an aux tranny pump that would pump fluid in the tranny when you were traveling.

9. Jul 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    dougmatson

dougmatson Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I spoke to the people who now make the driveshaft disconnect system. They told me the Tacoma double cab is one of the most popular tow cars now. I asked what I needed and they said the just the disconnect unit, keep the transfer case in 2hi, put tranny in park and go. I also talked to a Toyota master mech and he said as long as the tranny was not being turned by the shaft and with part time 4wd in 2hi mode I should not have a problem. Going to order all parts this week and hit the road in August.

Products Discussed in

To Top