1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pulling my boat out of the water

Discussion in 'Towing' started by bobbybreach, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Aug 22, 2013 at 3:52 AM
    bobbybreach

bobbybreach [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bobby
    westchester NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    im taking my boat out of the water tomorrow and it gets stored at my country house. now im driveway is real tight and there are a lot of trees on either side so its hard to reverse into it. my question is... should I put it in 4lo so im to burning up my clutch the whole time trying to maneuver it? or just leave it in 2wd and clutch it as normal? whats the better option. there will be a lot of forward and reverse to get it into the driveway.

also, backing into the water to pull the boat out, whats the farthest safest distance with the truck I can go. just before it starts to come in the rear door? the exhaust will be under water but I heard as long as you keep the engine running it will be fine.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Aug 22, 2013 at 3:58 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    1st, dont use 4wd(HI or low) on dry asphalt or concrete it can mess it up really badly, and the whole thing will have to be replaced. so if you not in grass or dirt or gravel don’t do it at all.

2nd, i’m not familiar with 4wd and a manual, so idk if it would be better to put it in or not.

3. Aug 22, 2013 at 4:27 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    You won't hurt your clutch from a few minutes of backing your boat in. You'll be fine.

4. Aug 22, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    LowerBost

LowerBost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Sport
    Old Man Emu Lift w/ Dakars and Billsteins, K&N Intake, Throttle Body Space, Front Bull Bar, Side Rails, Painted Stock Rims, Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks, Third Brake Light Cover, Satoshi Grill Mod, BHLM Mod
    Hauled my boat around with my last 2001 Tacoma 5 Speed. Don't remember the weight of the boat but I think with both engines on the back its around 1800-2000 lbs. Never put it into 4WD when backing it up. At most, I would put it into 4WD if it was a steep launch taking it out. Other than that, your turning radius on asphalt in 4WD is really gonna suck and make it harder to maneuver. Hope this helps!

5. Aug 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    bobbybreach

bobbybreach [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bobby
    westchester NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    yeah that that works. the road is all sad and gravel so its fine for 4wd. but ill leave it in 2wd and clutch the shit out of it.

thanks guys

6. Aug 22, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    xaqori

xaqori Grammer knotsy

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Marietta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 Limo
    ARB lockers and 4.88s front and rear, OME 886s, Dakars, etc., Safari Snorkel, 17"Fuel Revolvers w/ 35x12.50r17 KM2s, fenders cut 3" all around, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH w/ Backup cam, CB/PA (PA Installed), Weathertech Digis, Foglight anytime, AP: front bumper, skids, and pack rack, custom sliders, Warn 9.5XP, dual VIAIR 480Cs with a 2.5gal tank, OTRATTW switches galore, URD y-pipe, RCI skids, LF 240s, etc.
    I'd be sad too if I was gravel... :(
    :rimshot:
    But you should be fine in 2wd as long as it isn't too steep

7. Aug 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    I have used lo when I pull launch and retrieve my boat. It helps keep the speed down where I want without having to ride the clutch. But I am not on pavement.

I guess if I was you and had a lot of tight turns to make I would try to stay out of lo, but if you don't have tight turns and want to go slow I would use lo. Just try not to get it bound up when you have it engaged.

Products Discussed in

To Top