1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing a 5100 lb travel trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Bob Schultz, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sep 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Ventura Co.,
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prerunner DC
    Just finished a 4800 mi 3 month fishing trip towing a 5100 lb travel trailer. I have a 2013 Tacoma double cab. Left Ventura, Cal. on june 1 st. Went up 395 to hwy97 to north of Bend Ore. Averaged about 10 to 11 Mpg. Only drove 55 to 58 MPH all the way. Came back 97 to I 5 and then to 99 and back home. Towed the trailer 1678 miles on all kinds of roads good and terrible ( I 5 ). I had no problems whatsoever. Averaged 12 to 13 MPG on the way home. Still 55 to 58 MPH. Driving up the grade at the Grapevine was not a problem. Was able to maintain 45 MPH which was faster than a lot of the big rigs I passed. Only two things that I have a concern about. The truck needs a larger gas tank. Had to stop about every 150 mi to fill up. The other big complaint was the stability. Every time I was passed by a big rig or especially a bus the trailer would want to sway, even with a sway bar attached. Need to pay attention. Found no need for aux. towing mirrors as I was able to see along side. When I first started the trip I was concerned about the lack of power on hills but soon became used to it. Had a 38 ft Diesel pusher motorhome before this and it would slow down on hills as well. Cant say enough about this truck. Plan on taking 2 to 3 mo. trips every summer and will tow with the Tacoma. Hope this helps anyone planning a travel trailer. Good luck Bob S.

2. Sep 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    rotorwind

rotorwind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    4.0 4x4
    Good to hear. Is that 5100 empty or loaded? I have a trailer similar weight and haven't towed it much yet. Been trying to decide if I need a tundra. You post is reassuring. Thanks

3. Sep 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Ventura Co.,
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prerunner DC
    That 5100 lbs is loaded however more junk was added before the trip. Like I said had no problems but the trailer weighs a little more that the truck. So you know its there. Just take your time and I think you will do ok. Bob S.

4. Sep 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    It can be done, but a Tundra will do it easier, safer, more stable. Anything that I towed or hauled with my 06 DC is handled easier with my Tundra now.

Took a short weekend camping trip out to the coast a few weeks back and any travel trailer this size was being towed by 1/2 tons, expeditions, suburbans, Tundras, diesels, and even DRW's.

If I still had my 06 and that was my only tow vehicle for a travel trailer so big and heavy and for long trips, I personally wouldn't buy it. That's my opinion and im stickin to it.

But proper equipment, being safe and taking it easy (especially in Northern Cali, South Oregon mountains) count for alot.

5. Sep 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    GaryArt1

GaryArt1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Bohemia, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4.0 DCLB 4x4
    I have tried the friction sway bar route with my trailer [29'&5800lbs]. I was not comfortable with that at all. Thought about putting a second one on but instead went to a reese dual cam. I feel a lot more confident. When a truck or bus passes me I do get a little push but the trailer stays online. Only time I get any sway is if I am not paying attention and me speed gets above 70mph. Then the winds and road condition pushes the trailer around. I usually keep in between 55-65 and it is solid. You probably should not be towing faster than that anyway. So glad I upgraded my setup. I heard the equalizer is a good setup also.

Products Discussed in

To Top