1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear overloads needed.....

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Ryan Tucker, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Feb 7, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    Ryan Tucker

Ryan Tucker [OP] Do it Dont talk about it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Terrell Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM Tacoma
    TRD Sport Camper Top
    I towed heavy for the first time yesterday with my 2013 4x4 Tacoma, it was my 24' enclosed race car trailer, 8.5' x 24'. Not sure exactly what it weights but the car inside 'Datsun 240Z' is ~2700# and an easy 500# more in gear. I pulled it a couple hundred miles round trip. Power wasn't to much concern I locked out OD and ran 60 mph and that was comfortable at ~2600 rpm. Trans temp stayed way down around 140-145*, I was glad to see that. Brakes were absolutely no issue at all and I have a nice brake controller on it as well. Issue was tongue weight was a bit heavy and the truck was on the bump stops, it brought the front up pretty high and rode a bit harsh. I googled overload options and came up with Timbren overload kit to look the best to me. I was curious if anyones used them here? It's a simple bolt on rubber bag like a air bag that bolts in place of the orig. rubber bump stop. less than 200 bucks on ebey. Part number TORTUN4 due to my tow package pring kit has 4 leafs rather than 3. For the 3 leaf pack it calls for a TORTUN4L

2. Feb 7, 2014 at 9:03 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    PM TW member Monkeyface , he just added Timbrens

3. Feb 7, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  4. Feb 7, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    Ryan Tucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Terrell Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM Tacoma
    TRD Sport Camper Top
    Oh and when I stopped to get fuel I only had 169 miles on the tank, and she held 17.7 gallons. Horrible millage I thought, the engine just didn't feel like it was under that much strain. My Scan Gauge showed to be using around 60-85 HP on average

5. Feb 11, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    Ryan Tucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Terrell Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM Tacoma
    TRD Sport Camper Top
    Well the overload bags came in look forward to getting them on and towing to see the difference. I will post back for others to see the change good or bad in case your looking for something similar. I was impressed with the way it towed other than the millage and the rear setting on the factory overloads.

Ryan

6. Feb 16, 2014 at 7:49 PM
    Ryan Tucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Terrell Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM Tacoma
    TRD Sport Camper Top
    Well I installed them the other day, the ride empty is def. noticeable. Probaly exagrated by me having 4-600# of tools in the bed at all times. I'm thinking there going to help a lot while towing the car hauler on the weekends but bumed that it affects the empty ride as much as it does...... I'll update after a good heavy tow again

Ryan

7. Feb 17, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    Spindifferent

Spindifferent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner 4.0 v6
    You should consider a weight distribution hitch. Configured and installed properly, it will distribute the load evenly across the truck and trailer. This will prevent the front end from rising up and the backend from lowering.

Excellent info here: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

8. Mar 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    Ryan Tucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Terrell Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM Tacoma
    TRD Sport Camper Top

The ride is a bit stiffer unloaded but not to bad. It does make a world of diff with a heavy trailer in tow though. I'd recc. them for sure!

Tucker

9. Mar 18, 2014 at 5:23 AM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    Air bags are the better option than overloads. I added them shortly after I bought my truck and they have made it handle towing so much better. I still need to get a trailer brake controller; but the stability while towing now is great.

10. Mar 18, 2014 at 7:19 AM
    Ryan Tucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Terrell Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM Tacoma
    TRD Sport Camper Top
    A real inflatable air bag or the progressive non air up style bags like I purchased? Mine basicly replaced the bump stop with a much bigger progressive bump stop from the way I see it. It keeps the truck from sagging and I'm sure the leafs enjoy not getting bent so far and worked as hard while towing. I have the 4 leaf towing pack but it was no where enough for pulling a loaded 22' car hauler loaded with race stuff and a 2600# car inside.

Don't remember the brand brake controller I bought but it's a damn good one, it does a great job. And was super easy to install, it came with the correct plug that just plugged in under the dash. It adj. 2 diff. ways the over all brake strength and the way [speed] that it comes in, these 2 cane be fined tuned to really brake well.

If the millage didn't suck so bad I would really brag on the way it tows this trailer to the track now. I'm used to driving Dodge trucks with a Cummins diesel since 93 then 99 then 05, so I know its a big diff. to get used to. First time owing a gas truck in a long long time.

11. Mar 18, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    I went with Firestone ride right's. The mileage is not awesome but it handles great.

Products Discussed in

To Top