1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

need to learn how to back, drive with and be speedy with trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by fireturk41, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Apr 2, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 [OP] I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    hey in july i get a new job as a truck driver for harvesting tobacco, i need to learn how to back a trailer precisely drive at a good speed with a loaded trailer and how to jump ditches with a trailer full of tobacco in a f1shitty how can i pratise this with the tack plus ive never driven with a trailer let alone owned one

2. Apr 2, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    backing up a trailer is easy. Even easier when loaded(weight)
    I used to work in a marina, and it would be nothing to back a 40' boat up with a gmc pickup. Best way to learn is to practice..Sorry

They wont teach you how to do it?

3. Apr 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    i think they would i just want to be awesome in the eyes of this farmer as a seasonal worker so i can hopefully get in the goods and do year round tree farming

4. Apr 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah man...practicing with the equipment you are going to be using is the best way. it's not uber hard...but it takes some getting used to.

Good luck man...Don't freak out about it...You'll pick it up!!

5. Apr 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    just remember..turn left to go right with a trailer in reverse, and vice versa

6. Apr 2, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    How did you get the job without the experience?

Easy way to back a trailer is to put your hand at the bottom of the wheel, whatever way you want the trailer to go, move your hand in that direction.

Now when you get real good, you can back up two trailers. Just throw everything you learned about left and right and right and left out the window. 000_0034.jpg

It can be done, and has been done. ;)

Ya got me a little worried about the "jumping ditches" part, maybe I'm not hip to the vernacular. Do this, go to U-Haul and rent a trailer for the day. It's cheap cash and you're insured. Find an empty warehouse parking lot with lines and docks. Practice till your fingers bleed. The longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up.

Where in NC are ya? I'd take a ride on a weekend to help you out if you're close enough. I live in Columbia SC and I've been a trainer and a driver mentor. I've had my CDL for 20 years, pulled everything from dump trailers to gasoline tankers to now pulling doubles.

Let me know.

7. Apr 2, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    im in the wonderful gvagus nc haha im a lil far away

the uhaul thing is a good idea, ill give it a shot

also by jumping ditches i meant like real shallow ditches where there isnt exactly a pathbut you kinda make one nothin deep though, i just thought it may whack the trailer off ballance or something,

also about what is a good speed, my dad was talkin bout when he used to do this and how about some people wouldnt load the tobbacco right and if you went too fast the trailer would fish tail and flip

8. Apr 2, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    I'm hoping you spelled where you are wrong. I couldn't find it on a map and Google kept laughing at me.

They way it's loaded will definitely have an effect on stability. Just remember too, the speed is not only gonna bite ya in the ace while pulling but it'll kick you harder in the balls when you're trying to stop. Especially in a panic stop.

I've seen these agricultural trailers and the way they load them. I keep as far away as possible. Good luck

9. Apr 2, 2009 at 8:48 PM
    fireturk41

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    haha greenville the locals call it gvagus, im from the backwoods surroundin it but i have peed there so it is mine.

one of the main things i was worried bout was speed, you can go 65 and have no problems here but i think id be afraid at 55.

i know its harder to stop i always try to decelerate slowly already to practice and hopefully avoid rearending someone so i think i still need to practise it though

10. Nov 23, 2022 at 4:57 PM
    Charlie Bravo

Charlie Bravo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2009 Red Tacoma Access Cab 4wd 2.7MT
    RedLine Tuning hood QuickLIFT, Gen3 alloy 16x7J, All Pro Off-road bed stiffeners & IFS skid plate
    Easiest way to back is switch you hand(s) from the top to the bottom of the steering wheel, and you can turn the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go.

I got lots of practice backing a jetboat trailer in southern Idaho, so it would be level when my cohort drove the jet sled (riveted Valco boat) on it. (If you parked the boat on the river overnight, it would have to be in a shallow spot where we could bail the water out in the morning.)

11. Dec 3, 2022 at 7:51 AM
    Cushmaat

Cushmaat Well-known wiseass.

Member:
    SE AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR 4x4 DCLB MGM
    13 year old thread revival. Nice!

mic_sierra and Charlie Bravo like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top