1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New guy needs help w/trailer brake wiring.

Discussion in 'Towing' started by nickatnet, May 1, 2008.

1. May 1, 2008 at 9:47 AM
    nickatnet

nickatnet [OP] New Member

Member:
    Terrell, TX.
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tacoma, 4x4,v6,TDR,SR5
    spray-on bed liner, hardshell toneue cover.
    I have an 03 4x4 access cab v-6 with the towing package. I'm buying a 25' foot travel trailer and need to find out how to wire up a trailer brake controller. The flat 4-pin plug only has light wiring. Any help appreciated.

2. May 1, 2008 at 2:08 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Chapter 10 of the Towing bible, which is stickied at the top of this page, covers a brake controller install in a non-tow package equipped gen 2 truck. Most of that is going to be the same for you with the exception of where your grommet through the firewall is going to be located, and where to tap the brake switch signal from. For me to be able to help you with this I am going to need some clear close-up picture of the wires coming off of the brake pedal and the switch that should be up there, and then I am going to have to get back to you with some that I am going to need voltage measurements from, so I can tell you which one to tap into. That is if you have a multi-meter and the knowledge of how to correctly use and read one. (not trying to be an ass, but it is a skill that not everyone posesses).

Upload the pics to Tacomaworld, and then post them into this thread, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Products Discussed in

To Top