Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Anti Gas Theft Devices for Tacomas

Old 06-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Arizona Native
RioNovo is just really niceRioNovo is just really niceRioNovo is just really niceRioNovo is just really nice

RioNovo's Tacoma Gallery
Anti Gas Theft Devices for Tacomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
..I have to begin work on a skid plate/ anti gas theft thing for my truck...
Hey Chris, did you come up with a good anti gas theft solution for your truck? I checked with Power Toyota and they said that Toyota doesn't recommend a locking gas cap for the Tacoma, something about it interfering with the system electronics. So if you or anyone else has a solution that really works I'd like to find out what it is so I can duplicate it on my truck.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
WHAT??? Rio, I've had a locking gas cap the whole 7 yrs of its life! No issues! On Chris- he's fabricated a really cool tank armour plate and h has pics in his gallery.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioNovo View Post
Hey Chris, did you come up with a good anti gas theft solution for your truck? I checked with Power Toyota and they said that Toyota doesn't recommend a locking gas cap for the Tacoma, something about it interfering with the system electronics. So if you or anyone else has a solution that really works I'd like to find out what it is so I can duplicate it on my truck.
Here are some pics!

Old 06-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
WHAT??? Rio, I've had a locking gas cap the whole 7 yrs of its life! No issues! On Chris- he's fabricated a really cool tank armour plate and h has pics in his gallery.
You cant siphon gas thru the filler neck, as there are baffels, screens, and/or check valves. Manufacturers have been useing these types of deturants since the late 80's early 90's.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Arizona Native
RioNovo is just really niceRioNovo is just really niceRioNovo is just really niceRioNovo is just really nice

RioNovo's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Ridge, all I have to go on is what Power Toyota told me, that Toyota "doesn't recommend" a locking gas cap on the Tacoma. Has something to do with sensor system electronics according to the guy I talked with.

Like you I've ALWAYS run with locking gas caps, even back in the day when gas was affordable! So I'm interested in hearing what people who've done the same on their Tacomas, guys like you, have to say about that particular piece of "advice" that I got from the local Toyota dealer!

I'll take a look at the pics Chris has posted in his gallery and see what he's come up with.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can siphon gas thru the filler neck, as there are baffels, screens, and/or check valves. Manufacturers have been useing these types of deturants since the late 80's early 90's.
it is not actually meant as a deterrent. I believe it has something to do with preventing the gas from coming out in the event of a rollover.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Arizona Native

RioNovo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Its pretty effective..
Yea, but you gotta sit up all night keeping watch for that to work, and I'm not sure I want to give up my beauty rest right at the moment!

Chris' skid plate looks like something that makes good sense. But I'm not sure how much it would help when it comes to keeping people from siphoning gas from your tank when no one is looking..
Old 06-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Chris' skid plate looks like something that makes good sense. But I'm not sure how much it would help when it comes to keeping people from siphoning gas from your tank when no one is looking..
Your 03 already has a skid plate under the fuel tank. Toyota seems to have forgotten that small detail on the 2nd gen trucks.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Your 03 already has a skid plate under the fuel tank. Toyota seems to have forgotten that small detail on the 2nd gen trucks.
True, Rio, I failed to metion that. Go get a locking cap Rio- I PROMISE you will not have issues.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
Arizona Native

RioNovo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Typical. Seems like for every step "forward" there's always another, usually unseen and often unnoticed. that's heading in the opposite direction!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Arizona Native

RioNovo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
..Go get a locking cap Rio- I PROMISE you will not have issues.
I'll do that early tomorrow, before the heat of the day settles in and I decide to stay indoors!
Old 06-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
it is not actually meant as a deterrent. I believe it has something to do with preventing the gas from coming out in the event of a rollover.
I have heard it both ways. As long as it stops the theft of gas from your vehicle.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #14
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
I have used a Stant locking gas cap from O'Reillys since the first week I have had the Taco. No CEL's or any other issues. Just make sure you make it click several times before you turn the lock a half turn to lock it.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #15

Quote:
I'll do that early tomorrow, before the heat of the day settles in and I decide to stay indoors!
Cool-yeah I have to go visit my Mom in Tracy-supposed to be upper 90's...which to you and Chris is a walk in the spring I suppose
Old 06-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #16

Quote:
I have heard it both ways. As long as it stops the theft of gas from your vehicle.
Which it does cause you can no longer get a hose down there
Old 06-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
Arizona Native

RioNovo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool-yeah I have to go visit my Mom in Tracy-supposed to be upper 90's...which to you and Chris is a walk in the spring I suppose
Upper 90's to us here in the Valley of The Sun in the summertime is something we can only wish for! So far this year we've had a very pleasant lead in to summer, with our hottest few days only about 107 to 110. Give it another couple or three weeks however and the real heat will turn the Valley into the oven that we love to hate - with 115 or better being the norm for weeks and months on end!

Before long I hope to gas up the Taco and head north to the high country for two or three weeks where the cool mountain air turns the Valley heat into a distant memory! The only down side to that plan is that the day always comes when it's time to head back down into the desert furnace again, and that's a brutal prospect after spending time in the cool pine forests that offer us Arizona's summertime paradise!
Old 06-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #18
The Professional
c0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3rd SFG(A)
c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to c0b2a
Quote:
Its pretty effective.

Like you I like to go with that approach as well...
Old 07-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #19
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Its pretty effective.

I like your thinking.

I have an AR with 30 rounds of M855 on tap I could use for the same purpose.

I don't like the idea of using locking gas caps since if they can't steal fuel that way, they'll probably just drill your tank.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #20
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Here are some pics!

So, any plans to make more? I'd buy one.

If not, I plan on making one myself. People in my office (not on the bad side of town) have already had their Catalytic Converters stolen, and their fuel tanks drilled into. Only reason I can guess mine hasn't been hit is that it sits in the garage under the building.

Unfortunately, my house in the county doesn't have a big enough garage for my truck. So, it sits out front of the house. (read - target for vandals)