Notices

Tacoma diesel?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
Hobopoet is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Alan
Hobopoet's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma diesel?

Any information about this? I hear a lot of talk but no substance...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Highly doubtful.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
DIY and post the pics. There are many old 6.2/6.5l gmc diesel engines out there. Just make sure the mains aren't cracked and have the girdle installed.
I'm not sure about matching it to a trans though.
An old taco with a blown motor, that's the challenge
Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
DIY and post the pics. There are many old 6.2/6.5l gmc diesel engines out there. Just make sure the mains aren't cracked and have the girdle installed.
I'm not sure about matching it to a trans though.
An old taco with a blown motor, that's the challenge
i would think that the 6.2 and 6.5 might be a little big. if he wants a DIY find an old wonder bread truck and pull the cummins 4BT out of that along with the trans and rebuild it.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I love the idea of a diesel Tacoma, but in the U.S. where gas is usually the same price or less than diesel, it won't fly. The cost of a Tacoma diesel would be over the price of a V8 full size truck and the gas mileage advantage would not make up the difference. Now, if gas prices skyrocket in the next few years, the diesel option might make sense. If gas is 5 to 8 bucks a gallon, a 30 mpg pickup would probably have some demand. This doesn't mean there aren't potential buyers for this truck now, but Toyota has to look at it from a profit/loss point of view. BTW, welcome to Tacoma World.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Don't forget about the torque advantage of diesel vs gas. I'd take a diesel for towing over gas anyday. For a daily driver, no.
Tundra with diesel would make more sense.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Don't forget about the torque advantage of diesel vs gas. I'd take a diesel for towing over gas anyday. For a daily driver, no.
Tundra with diesel would make more sense.
You are correct, but I was comparing a V8 gas engine to a 4 cyl diesel. A Tundra diesel does make more sense, especially in the U.S. market. BTW, I'm not against a Tacoma diesel at all, I just don't think the bottom line will work for Toyota. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #9

I don't forsee a Tacoma diesel either. I suppose it would be good for rock crawlers. If you tow that much, you should have a Tundra or larger anyway.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
enjoying the shenanigans
Gunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shedGunshot-6A is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Conner
Gunshot-6A's Tacoma Gallery
I have seen tacomas with 3.3L cummins in them. I cant find the website, but they are used for mining duty. They were pretty pricey though.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
I'm dying to get what the rest of the world has - a far superior truck (IMO) - the hilux. I'll take the diesel it has any day over the gas engine here.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #12
Middle Age Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunshot-6A View Post
I have seen tacomas with 3.3L cummins in them. I cant find the website, but they are used for mining duty. They were pretty pricey though.
Yea, they are about $62,000 and are not street legal. Very cool, though.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=42438

http://www.peakmechanical.com/
Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Forever at a crossroads
09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed09_tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mylene
09_tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The Tacoma does does have a diesel "cousin" per say. It's called the Hilux. They have it in their line-up in Europe.

Here's a link : http://www.toyota-europe.com/cars/ne...lux/index.aspx

Top gear had one featured (fully modded) for arctic exploration, that thing was amazing!!

Hope to see something similar from the Toyota line-up sold out here in the future.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
Yea, they are about $62,000 and are not street legal. Very cool, though.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=42438

http://www.peakmechanical.com/

I'll take a new Dodge 2500 Mega cab 4wd with the Cummins instead. It would be cheaper.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #15
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hahaha YES! The super badass diesel SAS taco is a 5 lugger!