Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Toyota Trucks & SUVs

Notices

Is it abnormal...

Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
PhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Civil Air Patrol (US Air Force Auxiliary)
PhoenixCadet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PhoenixCadet
Is it abnormal...

...to want a truck if you're not going to use it for off-roading or hauling?

I'm dead-set on getting a truck because (1) I'm not much of a car person, (2) I know I can afford it (the truck & gas) and (3) I simply like trucks.

Almost every other person I talk to about this is hugely against getting a truck if you're not going to use it for either hauling or off-roading.

Please tell me I'm not insane.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
you are not insane... get what you want....
Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #3
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Get what you want man....If you don't get what you want, you'll regret it later....
Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
PhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhoenixCadet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
you are not insane...
That's what I keep telling myself.

Alot of the resistance I get (being in California) comes from the Al Gore-worshiping, Pruis-driving, tree-hugger types. I can't recall which member it was on here who's got it in their sig, but I tend to have the "your hybrid is my carbon offset" attitude.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
CDonC is on a distinguished road
CDonC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
you are not insane... get what you want....
Pretty much. My sister has a truck that she just uses to commute, but she loves it. If you can afford it, why not?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
My Toys.....
TRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to all

Name: TRDGRL
TRDGRL's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my truck because I wanted one..... I love the feeling of riding up high and feeling safe..... I have the best of two worlds since I have my Cayman S for weekend rides and my Tacoma for daily rides.....
Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Get what you want....

Besides, I'm more than willing to bet money on it - that after you own a truck - you will USE it for either hauling/towing/offroad eventually..and you'll soon wonder how you went without one.....
Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #8
My Toys.....
TRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to all

Name: TRDGRL
TRDGRL's Tacoma Gallery
LIFE IS SHORT.....DOOOOOO ITTTTTTTT !!!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Get what you want....

Besides, I'm more than willing to bet money on it - that after you own a truck - you will USE it for either hauling/towing/offroad eventually..and you'll soon wonder how you went without one.....
That's what I've been thinking. The problem is - I'm not getting a 4X4, so if I did, it couldn't be anything crazy.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:12 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixCadet View Post
That's what I've been thinking. The problem is - I'm not getting a 4X4, so if I did, it couldn't be anything crazy.
Nothing wrong with 2wd for offroadin.... you just gotta know your vehicles limitations and/or be prepared in case you go beyond those limitations.

A rear locker will help - if you think you'll be *on the edge* of those limitations.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ur in socal, which means there is more to offroading than just 4x4...

Old 06-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #12
Eat My Dirt
Siafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the rough

Siafu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's what I keep telling myself.

Alot of the resistance I get (being in California) comes from the Al Gore-worshiping, Pruis-driving, tree-hugger types. I can't recall which member it was on here who's got it in their sig, but I tend to have the "your hybrid is my carbon offset" attitude.
get want you want. im a big guy and i hate getting in and out of cars. get the damn truck. i drive a truk because i like burning gas...screw the prius driving tree huggers they conserve so i can indulge...
Old 06-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #13
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Get what you want....

Janster's right. I got my Tacoma not planning to go offroad and not needing to haul much of anything. I got it cause I always wanted one. Since I've had, I have used it for wheeling and hauling.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Janster's right. I got my Tacoma not planning to go offroad and not needing to haul much of anything. I got it cause I always wanted one. Since I've had, I have used it for wheeling and hauling.
I'm already thinking this'll happen (for the offroading, that is).
Old 06-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
i drive a truk because i like burning gas...screw the prius driving tree huggers they conserve so i can indulge...
Amen.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Not crazy at all.

You'll be glad you have a truck. Being able to just throw things in the bed is so nice. On top of that, you'll be able to off road and tow things.

Whoever made the Sister comment, My Sister is looking for a 05+ Double Cab TRD Sport Prerunner in White now that she has drove my truck and has seen all the utility it has.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #17

Now the only dilemma I've got is figuring out whether to get the I4 or the V-6.

For the V-6's, what grade fuel are you supposed to use? I'm hoping it's regular, but I know plenty of V-6's that require at least mid-grade.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #18
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure you only need regular. I generally run mid grade or premium.

I would get the V6. Because you can get it in Auto, and it has more towing ability, you will get much more out of resale value. Its also very fun to drive.

Either way, you can't go wrong.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #19
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now the only dilemma I've got is figuring out whether to get the I4 or the V-6.

For the V-6's, what grade fuel are you supposed to use? I'm hoping it's regular, but I know plenty of V-6's that require at least mid-grade.
The I-4 is a great engine. I just stay with the V6 because of occasionally towing a trailer in the mountains. I run regular 87 oct. with no problems or pinging of any kind.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #20
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
dont know if anyone else has said it or not..........get the truck!!!!