1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck won't start, fuel pump question.

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by luk8272, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Jul 20, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Got the fuel pump under control but have other questions in post 4.

1990 pickup 3.0, auto, 4wd.

Truck turns over fine, has fire, but I'm not getting fuel to the engine or to the filter. I'm assuming that the pump is bad.

Now there could be a mistake on my part and here is why. I pulled the plenum along with everything involved to replace the fuel injectors, while there also replaced the PCV valve and all lines that were looking iffy. Could I have left something unplugged that would affect the fuel pump, maybe a relay or something? I don't think so, but thought I would ask those that may know better than myself.

The follow up question if the pump is bad would be is it easier to drop the tank or remove the bed? I always here people talking about how the removed the bed to work on their tanks but have never done it myself. Any personal experience and advise?

2. Jul 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I ran out of patients, here is what I have done. I went ahead and purchased a fuel pump and strainer/filter. Dropped my tank and installed new pump and strainer, reinstalled the fuel tank. Worked truck until it started. Was a short lived glory as the truck won't idle or stay running without a good bit of throttle. I also have what I would call a miss on the drivers side as well as a tick that I think is the speedo cable. I have quit with the physical work for the night and will continue trouble shooting this in the morning. Feel free to drop me some ideas.

3. Jul 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Nothing done with the truck today took my daughter to watch Toy Story 3. Not a bad show.

4. Jul 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Here is a small update along with more questions.
    Have what seems to be a miss not sure where or what just yet. Could be that an injector isn't getting a signal, possible a different issue. First I have to get this thing to idle.

When the truck is started I try to keep the rpm at 1000, very difficult to get it on 1k it jumps around uncontrolably. It will sit on 1k for a short time then just jump up in RPM to 3 or 4k quickly without me even moving my foot. I can keep a steady rpm using my hand, manipulating the throttle under the hood with ease. I am speculating that with the pedal the signal is shit I must have the throttle depressed more than what the rpm's are registering and actually what I am calling a spike in rpm is the signal finally registering and the truck reacting. Can or does anyone have any thoughts?

5. Jul 25, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    YeahYeah

YeahYeah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    (My Home - Murrieta, CA) Now, Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    mud flaps gone, second air-filter gone, DTRL, fog light whenever and work with hi-beams, cut exhaust (was wicked flow), flat black stock rims, ABS switch, cup holder led's (with switch), turning signal mod #45, Bilstien 5100's, grill mesh
    go back, re-do, and i mean re-do everything you did. usually you find what you missed or messed up on. make sure fittings are tight. make sure connections are tight. check fuel filter(s) and pump one more time. and double even triple check everything. the smallest little nick can fuck shit up badly.

6. Jul 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Pretty sure you got a vacuum leak somewhere, they can cause a jump in RPM, A drop in RPM, erratic idling or no idle at all & the delayed reaction from applying acceleration & getting the RPM's up is also indicative of vacuum loss(or gain even).......just something else to consider......:cool:

7. Jul 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    ^ that's what i was thinking, and I am going over pretty much everything I have done but I would think the vacuum leak would give me an erratic rpm no matter where I am throttling up at, there wouldn't be a difference between the pedal and the throttle under the hood.

8. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bumpity bump bump, for thoughts.

9. Jul 28, 2010 at 11:51 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    May not matter , clean or replace maff sensor?

10. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thats been done for a while now. Thanks though, all suggestions are welcome.
    New: (less the 1k miles on all of it.)
    MaF sensor, Air filter, Plugs, Wires, Oil, Oil fiter, PCV, Gas as of last week, Fuel pump, Fuel Filter, diff fluid front and rear, transmission fluid, T-case fluid, Drive shaft was americanized, also replaced vacuum lines when looked iffy as well as other hoses. I'm sure there is more but this is all that is relevent at this time.

Products Discussed in

To Top